Is this normal?

Chrsamss

Seaman
This is water coming out below the powerhead when the boat is in neutral and the RPMs revved up . At idle the water does not come out , The motor is a 1992 115 hp Merc, the telltale is strong.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo225786.jpg
    photo225786.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo225787.jpg
    photo225787.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Steelspike or Chris1956 will probably ID that as a blown gasket where the engine mounts onto the mid section.

Chrsamss

Seaman
Is it safe to run it, or should it be fixed before using it again?

Where is this water coming from? Is it going to or from the head?

Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Going out. I comes in via a copper tube to the bottom of the block then within the block it splits and goes several places. When these places are finished with cooling they all dump into the mid section which is what you see. It is supposed to go through the midsection and on out the exhaust relief ports at the rear just below the powerhead at high rpms only, and down and out through the mid section to and through the prop hub with the exhaust. One of the functions of that water is to cool the midsection so that you don't burn your paint with exhaust heat or burn up your bushing in your prop.. I guess if you run a sprin at WOT and feel the midsection and it is cool enough to hold, then you could probably finish out the season with it like it is. Would think if you didn't do a prolonged amount of WOT operation it'd be ok on the prop hub part.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
COrrect me if I'm wrong but isn't that a failed gasket surface - leaking exhaust and warm water?
Typically you would have a failed (broken) bolt that secures the powerhead to the piece under it. After a bunch of time, the gasket would fail.
Check for a failed bolt. My failed bolt looked good - until I went to tighten it. SO "Look at em" with the applicable tool.

Hi speed operation would blow the water and exhaust gasses right past the blown gasket but low speed operation like when the exhaust port is underwater, would force the water out past the blown gasket.

I have a failed bolt on one of my motors and am "waiting" for the gasket to fail.
The only concern I personally would have is if the water/exhaust flow would discolor my paint. NBD. IMHO.
(No Big Deal)
Good Luck

Chrsamss

Seaman
Thank you for the information
I had an issue last year, water stopped coming from the telltale and water started bubbling up through the exhaust housing my mechanic said the exhaust plate had failed he replaced the plate and now the water is strong coming out of the telltale, however now I have this issue. Pro-crastinator are you say a failed bolt as in possibley a broken bolt? So that the midsection and the head are somewhat loose and allowing the water to escape?

Thank you

Chrsamss

Seaman
I have a good video of the issue however I am unsure of how to upload to the site

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thank you for the information
I had an issue last year, water stopped coming from the telltale and water started bubbling up through the exhaust housing my mechanic said the exhaust plate had failed he replaced the plate and now the water is strong coming out of the telltale, however now I have this issue. Pro-crastinator are you say a failed bolt as in possibley a broken bolt? So that the midsection and the head are somewhat loose and allowing the water to escape?

Thank you
Well, in reading this from afar, possible that in removing the powerhead to replace the gasket, one of the bolts decided to break off, due to corrosion, and the mechanic just omitted that one on the gasket replacement???????

Chrsamss

Seaman
I ran the boat for a long time yesterday. I have confirmed that underway the water will NOT leak out no matter the speed I am going. The only time it leaks is when I am at the dock, in neutral and I bring the RPMs up. I will look for a broken bolt this weekend.

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry I have not been more attentive.
Yes, a failed bolt is a broken/cracked bolt. It happens.
Just because a bolt is failed dosent necessarily mean that anything is loose.
I suppose what I'm saying is that its kinda almost common to have the bolts fail and its something I'd be looking at.
If it were me, since its leaking pretty good (a lot) at idle, I suppose I would pull the powerhead and replace the gasket.
​best o luck.