Merc 500, can't get the prop off

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I see some fishing line wrapped around my prop shaft so I decided to pull the prop. I was able to remove the keeper and the nut, but the prop doesn't want to slide off of the shaft. I squirted a little PB Blaster on it, but no help so far. Any suggestions for getting it off? It's been on there for 4 years now. Also, that little keeper with the bent over tab broke its tab when I straightened it out, can I go to West Mar1ne or the likes and just get one?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The spider washer is avail at lots of places. To remove the prop, tilt the motor up all the way. Liberally apply penetrating oil to the splines and let her soak a day or so. Now use a 2X4 to pry against the underside of the blades. Pry gently against each blade and so you don't crack the gearcase. If she won't come off, you will need to graduate to a puller of some kind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the puller does not work, then you need to cut the prop off the shaft.

always use prop grease to prevent the prop and prop shaft from becoming one.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
All good advice. I did try and persuade it a bit using a rubber hammer and hitting the base of each blade as I rotated it. I hit it with PB Blaster yesterday, maybe I'll go out and soak 'er again. It doesn't look grungy at all, but I know how it is when you have dissimilar metals against each other.