Trim and Tilt Issue 1983 Mariner 80 HP

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
I have an issue where my motor will not stay up when trimmed up or down when trying to drive. I can put it up and it stays up about 30seconds or so and then slowly goes down. Not enough that you can really see it by eye but it can be totally down in a few minutes. I did find that I had oil leaking out when I got the boat a few months ago. I also found the previous owner had stripped one of the holes when replacing a line and it is now fixed and no longer leaks. I read on here that I needed to remove the air in the lines by raising and lowering the motor at least six times. I have done that over 25 times and actually still went out with the boat and it still sinks or comes up when I am trying to drive. I know the motor is an 83 but I can not find any info on the trim and such and steps to go thru to fix this. Please help. I have attached a few pictures to try and help. Any help is appreciated.

Motor View
Motor.jpg

Motor trim
Motor2.jpg

Motor Trim2
Motor3.jpg

Pictures of trim unit inside the boat
SideView.jpg
SideView2.jpg
CloseSide.jpg
Bottom.jpg
Bottom1.jpg
Bottom2.jpg

Thanks for your time ahead of time.
Tim

Attachments

• Bottom2.jpg
    Bottom2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 0

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
Was hoping someone here could help or direct me in a direction to start. Anyone??? Maybe help on identifying the trim and tilt unit so I can get a book or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
This is usually the valve body on bottom of pump. Make sure the release valve is turned fully out

alleymize

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for your reply. Do I need to rebuild it or can I buy a new or used one? Can you give me a link or numbers or something that I should be looking for in a new or used since I can not find any numbers on these that come up in searches? Any help is greatly appreciate and thanks for taking your time to help.

Masonmoore

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same motor and i also have trim problem. For some reason info for the trim on this motor is pretty hard to find.