1984 90 hp slight bog during acceleration

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have this motor running like a beast at WOT, but getting there is tricky. I've rebuilt the carbs completely with all new parts including floats. I started the tuning at 1.5 turns out and seem to have it running well, but more to go. We ski so my hole shot is essential. While accelerating from a dead stop I have a slight bog com in ng out of the hole, if I stop the throttle at that point for 3 seconds, the engine will recover itself and then I to continue to depress the throttle and the boat accelerates smoothly and goes onto WOT from there with no issues. I've put hours into finding this sweet spot and want to get rid of that bog but no clue how to fin e tune it from here without messing up what I have. I've read the 6 cylinder 90 is very reliable and will run forever, but getting it tuned is the hard part. So where do I go from here?

mlbinseattle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know from reading the service manual on my '76 850, it says that anytime you do carb or ignition work, then the engine will need a link and sync (synchronizing the timing to the carbs).  Adjusting the idle adjust screws will affect this, so assuming you have no other issues, that's where I'd start.  Probably should get yourself the service manual for your engine.  These are a must have when doing any repairs/maintenance.  Also, in the FAQ's for all forums, there's a really well-written sticky for the link/sync on older Mercury engines.