Previously Good Running 25hp Mercury Won't Start

mmtilton

Recruit
I have a '03 25hp Mercury that ran great up until a couple of weeks ago. The starter had started to go bad but the motor still would start and run great. The last time it ran, when I got out on the lake I cranked it over a pretty good bit before it started. Unknown to me until later, the gas line was drawing air through a bad spot in the line (now fixed). Once I got it started it ran fine but each time I started it the same thing happened...I had to turn it over pretty good to get it to start. After going through this scenario about 6 times and I was cranking it for the last time to head to the launch, the starter seemed to start dragging. I let off the start button (on tiller handle) and then it wouldn't do anything. No sound at all when the start button was pushed. I have now replaced the starter, the starter switch, and the solenoid with no change. It WILL start when I jump across the solenoid posts, but still nothing when the starter button is pushed. I ran a test light (not a voltage meter) and had current all the way to the rectifier. My question is...if I fried the rectifier, would that keep the motor from starting? Any help would be greatly appreciated!