How to adjust/set idle timing screws for "Running" & "Cranking Speed" ignition timing

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How to adjust/set idle timing screws for "Running" & "Cranking Speed" ignition timing

Motor: 1999 Merc 115 HP 2+2

Need help folks. I think I understand the basic premise of how to check timing while running and the adjustments. Is it safe to do the Running adjustment while using muffs?

I do not understand the Cranking speed procedures. The use of the air gap spark tester... is this for #1 cylinder ignition wire off only? If so, what do I do with the other ignition wires? I have read the manual ten times and don't understand the procedures. Also, what air gap spark tester do I use? Does anyone have an example of one?

Any video links or practical advice would be appreciated.

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
bump.... also, my neighbor stopped by and said I should set my static timing first vs. the running timing... I am getting pretty frustrated at this point. I need a no kidding method of getting the timing set. Anyone?

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone? Or can someone direct me to another forum that specializes in Mercury outboards? I need some answers soon.

yzf125

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First you need to know what your Idle timing and WOT timing are supposed to be for static timing. Take all plugs out,Disconnect throttle cable at linkage, take all plug wire and ground them to the block by pushing them onto a head bolt or something similar, connect your timing light to power source and to # 1 plug wire. For idle timing hold throttle linkage to full stop and for WOT timing hold throttle linkage at WOT , have someone crank the motor for you as you do each.

Not the same motor as yours but same process .