trim goes down but not up on 2004 90hp mercury

tman11

Recruit
Replaced the relay and it worked for a while while out, when got back to ramp to load onto trailer it quit again. Pushed the down on motor and it works and when I pushed the up it worked enough to get the motor brace in place. Tried it after brace in place and would not work, only click. Any suggestions?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I would have someone operate the trim button, while you look at and wiggle all wires, looking for a loose connection.

Ant-Knee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 98 merc 150,

Had the same problem, I went and picked up a relay same thing. Worked for a bit and quit again..
The guy at the shop where I bought the relay said I should have changed both of them at the same time.. Yes I had to buy 2 of them.. Plugged them in and have not had a problem since...
I don't know why I had to do both , Makes no sense,
..Just trying to help...

Ant...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have a 98 merc 150,

Had the same problem, I went and picked up a relay same thing. Worked for a bit and quit again..
The guy at the shop where I bought the relay said I should have changed both of them at the same time.. Yes I had to buy 2 of them.. Plugged them in and have not had a problem since...
I don't know why I had to do both , Makes no sense,
..Just trying to help...

Ant...

I don't have my service manual any more but there may be a routing between the two for safety which would involve both relays. Usually you swap relays to check for a good/bad relay. But with your mechanic saying what he said and you doing it and solving the problem, that's 2 for 2. Must be something to it.