starter hesitating is this normal?

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys I have a question about my 1999 mercury 125 starter. When I crank it it usually clicks once like its trying to start then hesitate for a second or two and then cranks. Is this normal or is there a problem with my starter? Thanks in advance for any help James

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is not normal. Clean all the starter cable connections, and see if it is cured. If not, maybe the starter or starter solenoid is starting to fail.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes like Chris stated, time to clean all the wire connections INCLUDING the grounds as well. But you can determine if it is the starter or starter solenoid by jumping from the battery straight to the starter. If it does the same thing (after all wires, grounds were cleaned to shiny metal) then your starter is in need of service or replacement. If it cranks like a top, then your starter solenoid need replaced... JMHO!

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well unfortunately I thoroughly cleaned all connections for the wires attached to my starter and I am still having this issue. is it possible there is something else or is this a warning signs that my starter is going bad? Also if this is the case how long does something like this usually take to progress? I haven't really had any problems starting at just this hesitation

Fed

Commander
I had this problem with my evinrude and it turned out to be a slipping bendix clutch.
Just a very slight hesitation in turning the motor over.
I checked it by marking a line across the whole thing as you would do for a slipping prop hub.
If you had a high speed movie camera I bet you would see the top bendix nut spinning much faster than the cog.

mallardtone-man

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had this problem with my evinrude and it turned out to be a slipping bendix clutch.
Just a very slight hesitation in turning the motor over.
I checked it by marking a line across the whole thing as you would do for a slipping prop hub.
If you had a high speed movie camera I bet you would see the top bendix nut spinning much faster than the cog.
okay I am assuming that this is the park that looks like a cog wheel and sit on top of the starter is this right? And if it is slipping do I need to replace it or can it be tightened somehow? I can see some very fine metal shavings that appear to be from this part on top of the motor. is this the result of normal wear or indicative of a problem?

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
Why not just pull the starter off, take it to an auto shop that can test it, they have the equipment for that and normally it is a free check....

Fed

Commander
okay I am assuming that this is the park that looks like a cog wheel and sit on top of the starter is this right?
Yes Mercury call it a drive assembly, non adjustable as they're a sealed unit.
Mine was slipping for less than one engine revolution, just enough to notice the cranking hesitation.
I'd be taking a very close look at the metal shavings.