Spark plug question

afaust

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Searched the forum, never really found an answer. My 87 mariner OB204751 has been bogged down.... I suspect the carbs, however one little detail bugs me and I'd like to know if it makes a difference. According to all searches I've done, the correct plug is a gapped plug, however the ones in the motor right now are gapless. could this cause a problem? I was able to run the motor on the water once at WOT for 15-20 min before it started bogging down.... Now at full throttle, I don't have any power whatsoever....

Allan

afaust

Seaman Apprentice
For the response, it's a 45 hp 4 cylinder 1987 mariner. According to the chart, there is only the 454 that is gapless... According to the info I found, it's a standard auto plug that I need, which makes me ask what I do need, and if the gapless could cause an issue with the motor or not. I want to know if it makes a difference and why?

afaust

Seaman Apprentice
That is what I believe is in there, thx.... I've been reading conflicting information, so I wanted to be sure that it wasn't an issue.... Eliminate the obvious, and work out the rest.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
They are usually called perma gap or surface gap instead of gapless. They shoot the spark sideways or laterally from center to the outer/ground section.