Better than SeaFoam for 4 Stroke engines (especially EFI)

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Mercury 115 HP 4 stroke EFI (actually a Yamaha block and head). Classic weekend boat that get wet more often from rain than from lake water.

Last year, I did not top off the gas tank and probably did NOT add StaBil before winterizing. She started right up on the muffs this spring, so I figured I dodged a bullet. At the lack (for 2 weeks), she was running pretty rough, but I figured it just need to be run. Boy, was I right ! After messing around for almost an hour, I finally realized that the gas gauge was stuck on full, so I really did not know how much fuel I had and the engine was still running crappy. :blue:

Before I left the house I filled 2 VP Racing "jugs" (best new, plastic gas container you can buy today !) and a half a bottle of Gumout Fuel System Cleaner (finally did something RIGHT). I dumped in the first can (made my own "spout" out of a couple feet of 3/4" ID vinyl tubing; you can dump 5+ gallons in less than 45 seconds !). Another hour on the water, with lots of WOT burst. Still not running perfect, but better. Pulled the fuel filter and blew it out (new on sitting on the work bench at home ! :facepalm: ) Added the second can.

Went to the local gas station bought more gas and added half a bottle of Gumout Fuel System Cleaner to each jug. Well after 10-15 gallons, she is running like a top again.

Now the back story. A couple of years ago, I had the same problem. Old gas (yes, it has ethanol in it ! It is nearly impossible to buy gas without ethanol in most places in MI), engine running poor. SeaFoam helped, but so did fresh gas. So searching the internet, the folks at Bob's the Oil Guy are swearing about Techron. So I think, what is this "magic elixir". Well the primary "active ingredient is polyetheramine. (a.k.a. PEA) and it's no secret. Turns out that Gumount Fuel system Cleaner has a higher concentration than Techron, but either will do the job. Both of these, as well as SeaFoam, are available at Walmart.

I know in the future, the first tank of the season will always have PEA in it. (Still got to fix that gas gauge ! :mad: )

Last edited:

emckelvy

Commander
Apparently Gumout Regane is the Good Stuff with the PEA additive. I found it at my local Home Depot for $3.97/6oz bottle, cheaper than my local Walmart ($5.17).

I'll have to try some in my old Nissan PU, it's been a bit cranky lately and I think it may be fuel-related.

Back before I found out about Seafoam, used to recommend the Techron additive and got lots of good feedback about that.

Maybe we'll get a few testimonials here, on the Gumout product.

https://gumout.com/fuel-additives/regane-complete-fuel-system-cleaner/

Thanks for the info.........ed

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gumout has too many products with similar sounding names that are designed to resolve similar problems. To be specific, I am using Gumout? Regane? Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It works for me om what I would call "partially clogged fuel injectors"