1995 mercruiser 5.0 trim

icruiz

Recruit
My first boat, I was getting familiar with the controls before I went to the ramp. I lowered the trim, and when I was raising it, it was raising fine, then my finger pressed in the "trigger" on the throttle and the trim stopped raising, I can lower it a bit, and it sounds like it may be rasing for a second, then stop. I would think if it was a cylinoid problem, it wouldn't engage at all?? Could this have something to do with the "release" on the throtle?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
may have hit the "Trim limit" have you tried the "trailer button" to raise it the rest of the way

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
one button 3/4 of the way up. often times two buttons at same time to get full up for trailer.

tpenfield

Staff member
There are 2 circuits used to raise the outdrive. The normal trim switch (and its related electrical circuit) will raise the drive only part way. Then the 'trailer' switch (and its related electrical circuit) raised the outdrive as much as you want, as mentioned.

The reason for this is so you do not inadvertently raise the outdrive with the trim switch too much while underway. Most people new to outdrives get confused by this, but once you get used to it no worries.