rebuild kits for carter fuel pumps?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I've got a mercruiser 140 3.0L & I'm trying to find a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. It's '77 or '78 & I believe the mercruiser part # for the pump is 86234A4. The Sierra part # is 18-7278.
And as an after thought, can you safely replace the fuel pump with an inline electric pump on a boat?
Thanks. Jim.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
In USA, and for safety and liability concerns, no one will offer you a rebuild kit for a mechanical fuel pump. Just buy a new one. The answer for you electric fuel pump is yes, but you need to know what you are doing or have a step by step instructions. There some gurus on this forum that can give you that if you decide to go this route

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Actually, if it is old enough (and yours may be) there is a diaphragm kit available. #3 here http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...0&bdesc=FUEL+PUMP,+FUEL+FILTER+AND+CARBURETOR the newer fuel pumps are not rebuildable (as far as I know) so make sure you have the correct pump. You can use an electric pump, it must be marine rated, you must use a oil pressure switch and a fuel pump relay, but it is a fairly easy wiring job.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Try to call or check availability, they will not fulfill the order. I spent some time with this issue before. Hopefully your luck will be different.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Where can I get the oil pressure switch if I decide to go with an electric pump? Would the switch be closed to complete the circuit when there is oil pressure to provide a ground signal to the relay?

alldodge

Staff member

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you alldodge. That is pretty much what I was thinking it would take & yes stonyloam I was planning on putting a relay in to handle the load without running it thru the ignition switch. Haven't decided for sure yet but probably going to just order a new mech. pump as I've located one around $130 & by the time I purchase a marine elect. pump & all the necessary components I'm going to spend more than that anyways. I thought I could change it to electric instead of spending $200+ on the mechanical pump but I think for $130 I'll stick with the mechanical pump for now. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the insight & comments & help. Jim.