Outdrive Stopped Working

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
My son's '76 Mercruier's outdrive stopped working. We hear a click on the up button at the dash but nothing on the down button. Didn't see any fuse that the wiring connects to, appears it goes from tilt buttons directly to the trim motor that has 12volts on one lug but nothing on the other lug. Doesn't appear to have an oil reservoir. I'm familar with outboards but not on I/O. Advise as to what and how to check?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there should be a fuse on the small red wire at the pump. this supplies power for the up solenoid and the down motor circuit.solenoid clicks so there is power.
make sure both battery cable connections are clean and tight.
take a jumper from the + battery to the blue motor wire, drive should go up, then touch the green motor wire, drive should go down

\

Alumarine

Captain
Also, it does have an oil reservoir although that's not what's causing this problem.
The oil reservoir will be located where the clicks are coming from.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
My son was able to send this pic before he went to work

411527832.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
411527832_zpsuqtfmf4g.jpg
Red is 12v power, Black is ground, Blue is motor up, Green is motor down. The Green motor wire at the plastic block is connected to the green wire from the control button. The Blue control wire is connected to the small lug that operates the solenoid.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
I forwarded pic to my son. Hopefully he'll know how to jump the wires, otherwise I'll have to drive over his place :rolleyes: .
Will report findings. Thanks so much BT Doc.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
My son was able to jump the solenoid today and said that the green wire just clicked but blue didn't. Outdrived didn't lift or lower.
Comments?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
jump to the motor wires, not the solenoid. you have to make sure the motor is good first, solenoid testing comes later

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for confusion. Per your instruction above, son clamped jumper wire to the positive (red) wire and the other end on the motor's Blue wire then the motor's green wire. Green clicked but Blue didn't.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hope I didn't offend anyone but would appreciate what son should do next as to why his outdrive trim stopped working.