3 liter knocking noise VIDEO

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Pull the rod caps just to be 100%. I don't under stand what you mean by tab broke off. Are you referring to the piston skirt? Maybe you have some sevear piston slap happening...

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled the rod caps already and found no grooves or problems with them. Yes must be the skirt of the piston. Wasn't sure what it was called. Just laying in the pan. What is piston slap, is it something caused by a connecting rod bearing?

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I also forgot to mention that the number two piston looks like some of the edges of the piston itself are worn away. Remember that the compression is beautiful with the other three cylinders at 140 psi. I looked up a little about piston slap, but it's supposed to go away after a couple of minutes. This knock stays. Anyone else have this issue with 3 liters?

flipbro

Yes piston slap goes away when the piston expands at operating temp and the cylinder to skirt clearance tightens up. With the skirt being broke your piston will rock in the bore casing a slapping sound

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you think that piece missing from the piston could cause that sound? I was thinking that there would be some damage to the cylinder wall, but there was none. Should I change out just the one piston or should I change out the one with the jagged edges too? Not sure how severe that damage is on the jagged edged one. It would be 1800$ to bring this motor in to a shop and have them redo everything: head, cylinders, pistons, etc. Now my challenge is to stay under that amount with the parts I replace. Could a used piston be swapped in?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I wonder if the motor partially hydrolocked on those 2 cylinders at some point or at an idle ingested water. Something had to have caused the damage to the piston skirt. I would pull the piston out of the bore and check the rod and wrist pin for damage..

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i pulled the two Pistons. Was debating on getting used ones to replace, but I'm going to get new ones with rings. I had some west marine bucks that I can use and also this weekend is double points, so I won't do so bad with the cost. I have a local machine shop that will R&R the Pistons I will have them check the wrist pins and connecting rods then. Thank you,all,for,your,responses I will let you know what happens.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
None of your diagnostic techniques will pinpoint a rod or main bearing failure. Head to NAPA, buy a pack of plastigauge. It is a squashable thread that is placed between the bearing and the rod/main bearing journal. The cap is then installed and torqued to spec. When removed, the squashed plastigauge width is compared to the clearance patches on the package. If a bearing is bad, the plastigauge will never be squashed, or it will be squashed way too little indicating the bearing clearance is outside specification. What was the oil pressure at idle, 2000 and 4000 rpm? There are two other explanations for this noise but neither of them appear from the video to be applicable but I will mention them anyway. 1) The 3.0 uses timing gears rather than a timing chain. If the noise goes away or at least diminishes as you rev the engine, it is possible the cam gear is bad and has become sloppy. That noise is more at the front of the engine. 2) Mechanical FUEL pumps have a push rod actuated lever. I've seen the return spring fail on the pump and believe me, more than one engine has been torn down and inspected only to find nothing wrong. That bad spring can make the pump sound like a rod bearing failure. You already know this, but you pulled that engine way too quickly and did not follow much of the advice previously given. The engine idles too smoothly to have a stuck valve. You should have followed your mechanic friends advice. It is a very simple task to pull the rocker cover.. As for the oil pump causing the failure that is highly unlikely. Oil pumps are almost never the cause of bearing failure and replacing the pump is never a fix for low oil pressure. However, oil pumps should be replaced as part of a rebuild since you are in there anyway.

Last edited:

flipbro

Here's what I would do if I were that deep in.. All new rod and main bearings. A quick deglazing off the cylinders with a 220 hone replace the bad pistons and install all new rings. This is all only if your cylinders at still round and within tolarence. That motor has run lean and had det problem likely what broke the skirt

Redwing4900

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's what I would do if I were that deep in.. All new rod and main bearings. A quick deglazing off the cylinders with a 220 hone replace the bad pistons and install all new rings. This is all only if your cylinders at still round and within tolarence. That motor has run lean and had det problem likely what broke the skirt
It has been awhile since I posted regarding my situation, but thank you for your responses. It is correct that I wasn't using a conventional method to figure out why my motor was making that noise,but that's because this is the first time that I have ever gone this far into an engine repair. I didn't fully understand how Plastigage worked, but thanks to YouTube I was able to test all bearings and found that my main bearings were plenty good, and so I didn't change them. I did however change my rod bearings, piston rings and two pistons. One of the Pistons with the broken skirt, and then one of them had damage along the edge which looked like it was caused by detonation. Either way it looked mangled, so I decided to change it. Finally assembled everything last week and after working through a points problem with YouTube, I got her running today, video here http://youtu.be/iwseKzq6cEM
I still have a little noise as you can hear in the video, which sounds to me like an appropriate amount of piston slap, at least that is what I hope. Please check out my latest video, the motor is running perfectly again, I hope to lake test her tomorrow, weather permitting. Let me know if you think that the noise is excessive. Thanks again everyone for your help and opinions, and especially your honesty-I wasn't doing the work correctly and you said so. I appreciate this forum for stuff like that.

thumpar

Admiral
Still doesn't sound right. Take the belts and drive off to rule those out. If it still sounds like that you have more work to do.