Need Electrical guros expertise

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled my starter motor because it was not working when I jumped it in the motor (have a mercruiser 5.0 engine) I bench test it and it worked very weird to determine if it in the key wiring if I put a tester on the ignition wire when I turn the key should I get a reading on the meter

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
to determine if it in the key wiring if I put a tester on the ignition wire when I turn the key should I get a reading on the meter

Ayuh,.... With the key in the "On" position, the only power at the starter is the battery cable, top center of the starter's solenoid,....

There'll be Power in the ignition circuit on the motor, usually the purple wires,....

When the key is in the "Start" position, there's Power at the battery cable on the starter's solenoid, And, at the tiny terminal nearest the motor's block, comin' from the key, 'n slave solenoid, to that terminal,....
The other outside tiny terminal will also have Power, at battery voltage, to the ignition circuit,...
'n of course, the bottom big terminal will be spinnin' the starter with Power,....

alldodge

Staff member
I pulled my starter motor because it was not working when I jumped it in the motor (have a mercruiser 5.0 engine) I bench test it and it worked very weird to determine if it in the key wiring if I put a tester on the ignition wire when I turn the key should I get a reading on the meter

It's probably your slave solenoid and not the starter.
Slave Relay 89-96054T.jpg
Look for one of these. When you turn your key to start this solenoid is energized, which In turns supplies power to the starter solenoid which starts the motor

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this is where am at took some pictures when I had the carburetor rebuild merc 2000 5.0 engine I took of the bracket that attach to the carb that hold the solenoids when I put it back together I find this black wire don't know where it goes can this have been attach to the back of the solenoid bracket I do not see any bolts remember my main problem was when I turn the key there is power to the gauges I get no activation on the starter motor. I took the Starter motor off bench test it and it works fine

Attachments

• PICT0100.JPG
    PICT0100.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0101.JPG
    PICT0101.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
this is where am at took some pictures when I had the carburetor rebuild merc 2000 5.0 engine I took of the bracket that attach to the carb that hold the solenoids when I put it back together I find this black wire don't know where it goes can this have been attach to the back of the solenoid bracket I do not see any bolts remember my main problem was when I turn the key there is power to the gauges I get no activation on the starter motor. I took the Starter motor off bench test it and it works fine

The black wire appears to have not been used. Many times these are used for items used on other engines, in this case I don't think it was used. Being black it is a ground wire.

You have rust on the slave solenoid and this could be the issue but could still be the solenoid. To see if you can get it to start, turn key to ON, then get a heavy gauge wire and jump across the to top terminals. The starter should engage, if it does the slave is your issue

11image.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... With the key in the Start position, there should be power from the key at one of the two tiny terminals, on that solenoid,...

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so basically what your saying is if I jump the terminal and the starter turns then my problem is the selenoid

alldodge

Staff member
so basically what your saying is if I jump the terminal and the starter turns then my problem is the selenoid

IF you key switch is turned to ON or RUN and you cross those terminals, the starter should turn over the engine. If it does turn over the engine and does not do it when you turn the key to start, then it's either the key switch or the solenoid. To verify it is the solenoid, is check the small terminal Yellow/Red wire on the bottom and see if you have 12V when key Is turned.

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
will start testing one more question going to put the starter motor back but can I do all the test with the starter motor connected with all cables but not mounted in yet its a pain staking task to remove and install not a lot of working room

The starter motor has to be grounded to operate... usually its by being bolted to the engine itself unless your battery ground is connected to the starter body.

Bondo

Staff member
but can I do all the test with the starter motor connected with all cables but not mounted in yet

Ayuh,..... How ya gonna hold it,..??

When powered up, it's gonna be dancin' All over the bilge, or atleast as far as the wires will reach,....

Bench test it,...
Install it,...
Then figure out where the cablin' needs attention,...

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

OMG what a pain to install that starter motor ....but it's done I found this part under the engine just laying there see picture does any one know what it is

Attachments

• photo226767.png
    photo226767.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo226768.png
    photo226768.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Looks like a transom mount transducer for a fish-finder from here,....

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow what a little corrosion can do cleaned the solenoid and it worked bought a new one anyway so going to replace it "just in case"

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to thank Bondo, Eric, Alldodge, for your valuable help you guys and this forum are the greatest. O and my wife for not killing me putting her thru this whole ordeal .............Guys 5 stars for you

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so this is the latest update. I cleaned the slave solenoid real good, removed all corrosion and it worked. but when I turn the key off and tried to start the engine with the key nothing. so to make sure I jumped the solenoid and the engine turned over.

Bondo

Staff member
but when I turn the key off and tried to start the engine with the key nothing.

Ayuh,.... So find out why the key ain't providin' Power when ya call for it,....