Lower unit is stuck after replacing gimbal bearing and shift cable

G.pender

Recruit
Just replaced my shift cable and ginbal bearing on a alpha one gen ll, as I tried to put the lower unit back on it stopped about an inch from going in and will not come back out ...any suggestions would be great!!

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Did you test alignment before and after you change the gimball bearing?
Did you seat the new gimball bearing?
Is the boat and drive in forward gear?

G.pender

Recruit
Drive is in forward. Didn't check thealignment but I was going to and I can't get the lower unit back out

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Put a block of wood on top of the drive and trim the rams up. It will push the drive off.

THEN - you will need to use the alignment bar to set the gimbal bearing. Put the alignment bar in as far as it will go through the bearing and into the coupler. Use a large hammer and hit the bar in four directions - up, down, left, right. Then check your alignment.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
By "lower unit" do you mean the whole outdrive, right? The outdrive itself is two part bolted to each other informally known as upper and lower units each one of them is "half" of the outdrive. I believe you are referring to your whole outdrive,

Just for future reference, you MUST check alignment before and after but too late for that know. Try to shake the drive up and down with a little bit of force and see if it will break loose

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... There's No way to change a gimbel bearin', without an alignment bar,....

No how, No way,....

G.pender

Recruit
have tried everything to break it loose but still no luck! the roller has slipped out of the shift cable and there isn't enough room to get it back I position.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Had the same issue...broke my new shift cable fighting the drive trying to get it in the last inch.

I used 2 c clamps to pull the drive back from the bell housing when it got stuck from me kicking it

Buy the alignment bar and look for posts on aligning the new bearing.

Take it from me...there is NO way you are getting that drive on correctly without that bar and setting that bearing in correct alignment.

Bondo

Staff member
Put a block of wood on top of the drive and trim the rams up. It will push the drive off.

THEN - you will need to use the alignment bar to set the gimbal bearing. Put the alignment bar in as far as it will go through the bearing and into the coupler. Use a large hammer and hit the bar in four directions - up, down, left, right. Then check your alignment.

Ayuh,.... Get a block of wood, 'n use the method Mark explains,...