Mercruiser Alpha One 260/ V8 Won't Crank

Capalapa

Recruit
Hello,

Very new to the boating world, and I am trying to help get my dads boat back up and running.

Before putting her in the water:
-New starter and slave solenoid. The new starter was different and smaller than the original, but the guys at the shop said it was because that's the way they are being made now. They're the "experts".

Ran great the few times we went out. Last time just as we're pulling in to the dock engine died out. Turned the key and it would crank and it made this terrible grinding sound. Threw the old starter back in and it started up just fine. Went back the next day and it wouldn't start or crank at all.

-Same original starter
-Slave solenoid pulled and tested fine, put back in
-replaced plugs
-replaced batteries and cleaned connectors and terminals
-all the gauges work when key is turned
-turn the key engine clicks but will not crank

The mechanic from our marina asked us to unplug and pull all the plugs and see if it would engage the starter, nothing happened. I think it was to check for water in the pistons, but I can't remember.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you.

Capalapa

Recruit
I attempted to run through that yesterday, but being the novice that I am, I wasn't able to figure anything out. I will give it another go today though. I also want to check the wiring on everything, make sure they are connected in the correct places.

Thanks for the quick response.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
pull the plugs and get the motor to spin, take a jumper from the + battery and touch the large Yellow w/ red stripe at the slave solenoid. starter should spin the motor.
If not, starter or solenoid is bad.

Capalapa

Recruit
Went through the troubleshooting guide and the test light lit up every time it was supposed to, couldn't find anything wrong. Pulled the plugs, spun the motor, still won't crank. Pulled and tested both the starter and slave solenoid, both are fine. We're at a loss now. No clue where to go next. We are having a mechanic come down to the marina in the am to have a look. I'll post what he finds if anything.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
"spun the motor " means the starter is turning the motor over and the motor is cranking over

Capalapa

Recruit
Im sorry, spun the motor as with a wrench to make sure it wasn't frozen up. Still just getting a click when I turn the key.

Which starter is in there now the new one or the old one?

A jumper wire from the battery to the (S)terminal on the starter solenoid will jump the starter. If it has power on the large terminal and the (S) terminal and the engine is grounded it should crank the engine over. Maybe it needs to be shimmed.

Capalapa

Recruit
Well, sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. Good news is we figured out the issue. Seeing how I am still very much a newbie when it comes to marine engines, and engines in general, I didn't notice that the bottom pulley was not spinning as I turned the engine from the alternator pulley. Bad news, the engine is done and needs to be replaced. Everything with the starter system was fine, the engine was seized up. There was a leak somewhere and there was more water than oil, and yeah, it's done.

Thank you guys for your help, greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
There was a leak somewhere and there was more water than oil, and yeah, it's done.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... It was either poorly winterized, or not winterized at all,....

Frozen, Busted block,....