Shift cable trouble

tman_1911

Cadet
I am trying to adjust my cables on a 1971 140hp 3.0 and it's all jacked up! I have read on how to do it and it doesn't work. I am not getting any reverse gear at all. When I put it all the way in foward it goes in gear and I pull it back to neutral the prop spins freely, but from neutral to all the way in reverse i am still in neutral. I replaced the shift cable before hand and the brass nut the screws into the bell housing sticks out about 1/2-9/16 of an inch. Could that be what is not allowing it to shift to reverse? And when it is fully in gear should the prop spin freely in the other direction? Any help is greatly appreciated I finally got the motor running with help from the forum! But if it's not one thing it's another!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the brass nut should have no more than 2 threads showing or reverse is not possable
when you are in fwd, the prop will lock turning it counterclockwise and ratchet in a clockwise motion
when you are in rev , the prop will lock clockwise and ratchet in a counterclockwise motion

Last edited:

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
That's a great video. Thanks for posting. I just got done cleaning my threads of paint so the cable would seat lower within 2 threads. So glad that's done. Thanks guys!

tman_1911

Cadet
No Title

Yep that was the problem! Thanks! Now I adjusted my cable with the following procedure(picture) similar to the video, and I now have reverse but it is not until my shifter is complety in reverse. Shouldn't it start to engage right after you pass neutral?

Attachments

• photo226066.jpg
    photo226066.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0