Full shift and throttle cable replacement?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
We're giving the marina service department a pretty good workout so far this spring. We started the year with the same problem we finished last year; stbd engine dies when maneuvering at idle. We added oil and water mixing this spring. Here's what has been done so far.

Tune ups on both engines
Replace cracked head on stbd engine
Replace coil on port engine (it died while we were heading to the islands)
Rebuild carb and adjust shift on stbd engine

Still the stbd engine dies when maneuvering at idle. It makes your heart skip a beat as you almost deposit your bow pulpit into your dock neighbor's boat. I'm being told now that its a problem with the shift interrupt and new cables are required. Old ones are stretched.

Sounds expensive on a 30' flybridge. My plan is to wait until layup for this project (my wallet is already bruised and bloodied). My workaround is to use the port motor only around the docks. Anything else that could be causing this problem?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The lower shift cable need replacing if the shift interrupter is activating.There is a service bulletin about the spring replacement.
Also too high an idle or too low and idle will cause the interrupter to stall the motor.
SIE 18-2190 is a kit that does not have the bellow or gasket app $72.00
SIE 18-2603 is the full kit app $106.00