WOT, Prop, and Sluggy Embarassment

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the same setup. I get 38mph at 4400 rpm with the 19" pitch. Don't ski anymore so I don't worry about the holeshot. If you tow, use the 17. Wish I could upgrade to the 130 but I can't justify it.

Noobguy

Cadet
I figure if I'm gonna upgrade I may as well make it worth it. 4.3lx, eh? I like the 205 hp idea. Did it just drop right in, or did you have to modify motor mounts? Compartment is pretty open, except for that damn internal exhaust boot. (I hate that guy, but a heat gun made it easier).

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah you'll have to make up a double motor mount bed for the V6 and need a donor boat with everything to swap over. The OD is a different gear ratio too from the 4 banger. My Chief got the transplant from a 120 MC cast iron lump to at 205 A1. :D

Noobguy

Cadet
Gotta say, you did a good job. Kinda curious how you glossed up the hull again. Seems like a tricky job by hand.

That's a pretty hefty investment though, mostly the time. I wonder if putting in a 3.0 would even be worth it, but the swap would be easier...

Noobguy

Cadet
Ugh. Developed an engine knock and a significant loss of power Sunday. Sounds like a deep throb, so I'm thinking rod knock. So, the engine replacement idea is looking more attractive. My hull is rated at 205 hp, so I'd like to get close to there, but what ar my first steps? This is gonna be a LOT of work.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
#1 is to decide if this boat is what you want to put the work into. #2 decide what your budget is for a repower or boat replacement.

mr 88

Commander
Your hull is a 1978,have you had it weighed to see if it's waterlogged ? If it has a subfloor and there is positive flotation sandwiched between the bottom and deck the odds are it saturated. What is the condition of the stringers ? Now if all that checks out and I still wanted that hull instead of cutting my loses I would start scouring craigs for a donor motor,even if its in a wasted boat,and throw that in before rebuilding what you have.Sooner than later with your water activities you mentioned and the amount of people you take out your going to want a 19 -21 foot boat.

Last edited:

Noobguy

Cadet
Actually I think that's my problem, 88. I DO have a 19.5 ft boat, but it has a damn trolling motor in it ;) Hull is in good shape, and I have an old friend that rebuilds car engines. He's thinking my engine is probably safe and is looking into upgrade/rebuild costs, BUT I also found a shop that wants my 2.5l, will pay cash. Might be a way to recoup losses. I dunno, emotionally I love this boat. It's like proof of an education, but damn it'd be nice to have a swim platform, towing tower, and 300 horses. I think my best option will be to get this engine in decent order, sell this boat for a couple grand, and put it down on a mid 90s upgrade. Just scares me to think I'll have to put the work in again. I did everything from glossing the fiberglass to complete rewiring to replacing the exhaust manifolds and rebuilding the carb, etc. Plus gauges and fish finder, new seats, carpet. I dunno. It's hard to sell weeks and weeks of work for a few thousand bucks.

It sure was satisfying, though, and if I did it once, I can do it again. Thanks guys; I'll let you know what I decide in a couple days, and maybe provide some pictures. I didn't do as good a job as WaterMann, but my Admiral sure seems proud of me. ;)

End of the day, though, unless I can get it to perform like I need for under a couple grand, there's my answer.

Last edited:

Noobguy

Cadet
So, lucked into a great deal on a 2006 Bayliner 185 with 4.3l merc 220hp. Books at 14k, got it for 20. Polk audio system with subs and collapsible wakeboard tower, built in coolers, and a swim deck. Bonus: fits in my garage with the outdrive on since trailer tongue swivels. Sold! Beautiful performance, but porpoising a bit out of the hole (thinking 4 blade 19" for towing and 21" 3 for cruise? Anybody recommend a high 5 to get the tower pull going, possibly? Definitely ading trim tabs; they're a cheap performance improvement). Gonna surprise the kids this weekend.

Anyway, old engine goes into the shop for an inspection, and then a year's worth of resto work goes to a new owner, assuming the block is repairable for under a grand. Wanna do it myself, but good hell its gonna be nice to be ON the water fir a change. Kinda breaks my heart, but I bought that boat with the ex-Admiral, and the current boss lady is in love with her captain's chair and ipod port. Gonna let each of the the kids and my boss lady pick any decals they want ;).

As usual, you cap'ns ROCK. Incidentally, I have acquired just about every merc service manual in pdf form in my Internet travails, so if anybody needs one shout. Much love, folks.

Last edited: