Help needed. 4.3 lower shift cable

stardog

Cadet
Hello All,
I am finishing a bellows / gimbal bearing job on my 97 Sea Ray 175 with a Mercruiser 4.3. I am replacing the lower shift cable, and have come to a stand still. I fed the cable through the new bellow, and it seems to be hitting the back of the motor. This boat has power steering. I cant seem to fish the cable through from wherever it is hitting the back of the motor. I ran some weedeater line through the cable, and was able to find it in the bilge, but still can seem to get the shift cable to a point where I can properly route it up to where it belongs. Any tips on how to get this cable where it belongs?

Thanks in advance for you help.

John L
Bethlehem, GA
97 Sea Ray 175 4.3

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You should have used a solid inner control cable core as a guide, but that now a non issue.
You will have to physicaly look at the area where the cable is coming thru, you will see the brass end and that brass end must go between the rear transom housing and the rear motor mount housing. You will need a coat hanger to guide it into that area while someone pushes it from the outside of the boat.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
ypipe-1_zpsba72d5d9.jpg
you can see the shift cable just to the left of the mounting bolt

NHGuy

Captain
Then once it's in the entire sheath has to spin as you screw in the end as I recall.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Yep. Just did this....it was a real pita. Couldn't have done it alone. I used the old cable core wth a hook bent on the end. My buddy kept moving it in and out while I struggled to hook it with an electrician's snake (fish tape to some). It was tough. I contorted my body around the engine and barely could see (mostly feel).

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That's why you use a control cable solid core . get them free from any shop.
remove the old shift cable core, insert the solid control cable core, remove old cable, slide new cable over the core and into the boat.tighten, and remove solid core, install shift cable core

stardog

Cadet
Haven't though of the clothes hanger idea. The problem is, I just cant seem to find that right spot to fish it out. I am a pretty thin guy, but cant wedge my arm and hand in there to grab on. I removed the riser on the starboard side, but that didnt help too much. Was thinking of pulling the starter, unless that is a waste of time. Keep the ideas coming and thanks for your help.

John L
Bethlehem, GA
97 Sea Ray 175 4.3

Bondo

Staff member
That's why you use a control cable solid core . get them free from any shop.
remove the old shift cable core, insert the solid control cable core, remove old cable, slide new cable over the core and into the boat.tighten, and remove solid core, install shift cable core

Ayuh,...... A Great little tidbit that needs repeatin',...... ;)

stardog

Cadet
Bondo,
I agree 100%!! Got a little bit ahead of myself when I was pulling the bell housing and pulled the entire cable out. I even knew what I needed to do, but made the mistake anyway. Now I am definitely paying the price. Now I am trying to clean up my mess. I was hoping to find some advice from someone who had been down the same road. I appreciate everyone's help. All suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,
John L
Bethlehem, GA
97 Sea Ray 175 4.3

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you have to get your eyes down there to see or your left with pulling the engine if its that tight