1989 2.5L Alpha One shift and throttle issues.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently did a full service on the outdrive and gimble which included the lower shift cable replacement, I adjusted the cables and the boat shifted fine. A couple of weeks later I did a carb rebuild and now I have the following issues.
1. Throttle cable is adjusted as short as it will go to link to carb. No adjustment left at all.
2. While shifting from forward to neutral I almost have to put the selector into reverse to get neutral.
3. While shifting from forward to neutral the rpm is about 2000 at selector indent. Selector is hard to move towards neutral. When I get neutral rpm is 700 approx. When moving from neutral to forward the rpm is 700 approx at selector indent.
4. Shift interrupt works coming out of reverse at right time. I don't recall hearing it work coming out of forward.
Any other info I can supply I will. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thx

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
A couple of weeks later I did a carb rebuild and now I have the following issues.

Obviously you did something wrong in reassembly
disconnect the throttle cable from the carb, adjust idle rpm and idle stop. with control box in neutral install throttle cable , adjust where necessary.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I followed the manual with the carb rebuild to the letter as I screwed up the float adjustments the first time. I did exactly as you recommend. I had the cable off the carb and adjusted the idle and mixture. Then I adjusted the cable to re-install. I will double check this weekend.