great.. gimbal bearing is shot

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well this past week we were enjoying our searay mericruiser 3.0 during the 4th of july week vacation. I noticed a slight noise during turning so today I pulled the out drive thinking it was the u joints. Well come to find out my gimble bearing is shot . The cause... a rip in the bellow. Great.. I called the local marine shop to see what the cost would be... the quote. . $700. Not bad considering the job but I'm confident I could do it. My first question is do I really need the exhaust bellows expander tool? I figured since I'm already in there I might as well replace it . I will have to order the hinge pin tool and alignment tool which j found on amazon for pretty inexpensive so isn't an issue. I will rent the tools from my local parts store to pull the gimble so that cost shouldn't be bad. Any advice before I jump in? I should be ordering the parts by the end of the week so if there's a place anyone recommends for inexpensive parts please let me know.

tpenfield

Staff member
See what iBoats can do on the parts . . . but if not I'll PM you a couple of other sources.

I have an exhaust bellows expander tool that I don't need since I went to the tube rather than the bellows. I think it is needed to pull the bellows onto the bell housing flange.

$700 is really good if it includes parts and labor for u-joint bellows and gimbal bearing. not so good if it is just the bearing . . . .

Gimbal bearing is easy (2 beer job) . . . but the bellows it is much more involved (6 beers) just did that sort of stuff during my pre-season prep this year.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the bellows was compromised you should have had water entering the bilge too. use the bellows adhesive or 3m weatherstrip adhesive.Its a MUST
on the bellows and shift bellow. The complete kit is under 300 usually, all the boots, gaskets, hose, bearing, etc

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
am doing the same job. there is a home made tool out there if you look at the Don S sections. you can get away without buying the hinge pin tool ....a 1/2 hex will do it or what I did was get a. threaded rod coupler from home depot for a whole $1.22 ..happens to be 1/2 inch hex on the outside..stick it in the hole....put a socket set to it and you are all set.

Pulled my gimbal bearing with a threaded rod....fed it through the hole... put several large washers and two nuts on the end (engine side inside the boat) on the outside... had a metal bar with some holes in it ...wide enough to go across the gimble ring...fed a few washers and a nut on the end and started turning it...out it came! (takes a bit ..but it WILL move the bearing out)

total cost...outside of the alignment tool and the bearing... about 5 bucks. satisfaction from avoiding over priced stuff to do the same job...priceless.

Alumarine

Captain
You can replace the exhaust bellows with an exhaust tube.
That way you won't need the special tool.

I find it louder in my driveway but don't notice it on the water.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i just had my bellows, gimble bearing, water intake hose, engine oil change, new impeller and outdrive oil changed at a local merc dealer for $593. they said the shift cable looked new so left it. a couple guys at my dock do their own so may go that route next time but for under $600 not sure its worth it

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Actually if your exhaust bellows is in decent shape (not torn) then reuse it, save a little money and use OEM driveshaft and shift cable bellows. Might not be a bad time to change the shift cable too.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the bellows was compromised you should have had water entering the bilge too. use the bellows adhesive or 3m weatherstrip adhesive.Its a MUST
on the bellows and shift bellow. The complete kit is under 300 usually, all the boots, gaskets, hose, bearing, etc

I did notice some water in the bilge... I just assumed it was from the skiiers that were getting in and out the boat wet.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
am doing the same job. there is a home made tool out there if you look at the Don S sections. you can get away without buying the hinge pin tool ....a 1/2 hex will do it or what I did was get a. threaded rod coupler from home depot for a whole $1.22 ..happens to be 1/2 inch hex on the outside..stick it in the hole....put a socket set to it and you are all set.

Pulled my gimbal bearing with a threaded rod....fed it through the hole... put several large washers and two nuts on the end (engine side inside the boat) on the outside... had a metal bar with some holes in it ...wide enough to go across the gimble ring...fed a few washers and a nut on the end and started turning it...out it came! (takes a bit ..but it WILL move the bearing out)

total cost...outside of the alignment tool and the bearing... about 5 bucks. satisfaction from avoiding over priced stuff to do the same job...priceless.

Ill defiantly look into that. Thanks.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can replace the exhaust bellows with an exhaust tube.
That way you won't need the special tool.

I find it louder in my driveway but don't notice it on the water.

Do you have a link for this? Im very new to the boating so any help would be appreciated . Is there a advantage in using the tube over the bellows except for not having to use the tool? Just found my answer to this question

Last edited:

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i just had my bellows, gimble bearing, water intake hose, engine oil change, new impeller and outdrive oil changed at a local merc dealer for $593. they said the shift cable looked new so left it. a couple guys at my dock do their own so may go that route next time but for under $600 not sure its worth it

If they would have given me a price close to that I would have hooked up the boat and dropped it off but for $700 for the bellow,gimbal and u joints.. I didn't think it was worth it.

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually if your exhaust bellows is in decent shape (not torn) then reuse it, save a little money and use OEM driveshaft and shift cable bellows. Might not be a bad time to change the shift cable too.

what would happen if the exhaust bellow would tear later on..would it damage anything? I just thought since Im already there I would go ahead and change it. Ok.. found the answer.

Last edited:

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
See what iBoats can do on the parts . . . but if not I'll PM you a couple of other sources.

I have an exhaust bellows expander tool that I don't need since I went to the tube rather than the bellows. I think it is needed to pull the bellows onto the bell housing flange.

$700 is really good if it includes parts and labor for u-joint bellows and gimbal bearing. not so good if it is just the bearing . . . .

Gimbal bearing is easy (2 beer job) . . . but the bellows it is much more involved (6 beers) just did that sort of stuff during my pre-season prep this year.

I pm'ed you.

what would happen if the exhaust bellow would tear later on..would it damage anything? I just thought since Im already there I would go ahead and change it. Ok.. found the answer.

The U-joint bellows has to be bone dry or damaged parts, the exhaust bellows when you shut off the engine is completely full of water. It sends engine exhaust thru the drive and under water so it is quiet. I guess if it is torn, the exhaust may be louder than if it is intact.