Merc engine alarm

Ch Cl

Recruit
I have a 2008 260 Sea Ray Sundancer (with a 350 Merc), and my question is in regard to the engine alarm. This is our first season with this boat, and have run it without any problems several times this season, but had an engine alarm this weekend. Started up, idled out, started to come up on plane and the engine alarm went off (during bow up attitude). I throttled back and the alarm silenced. The boat idled fine. Tried to rev up to get back up on plane, and engine alarm sounded again. Went back to the dock (with all family disappointed and concerned). The drive fluid was maybe a little low (at "add"), so I added fluid and idled back out. Same problem with alarm when i tried to go back up on plane. Went back in and checked oil level...that was fine. Found the power steering fluid level was low so I added this and thought I nailed the problem. Went back out and had the same problem with alarm. All gauges register that "all good" - temperature, pressure, etc - all reading "ok" and all within acceptable ranges.

Any ideas friends?

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my 350 Merc the engine alarm senses
Engine temp
Drive oil level
Oil pressure

Check the two wire connections coming off the drive oil resivoir,

achris

More fish than mountain goat
carb or mpi? Engine serial number?

I had the same issue with my motor, although it's a mercury outboard, mine needed the impeller changed. Simple fix.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2008 260 Sea Ray Sundancer (with a 350 Merc), and my question is in regard to the engine alarm. This is our first season with this boat, and have run it without any problems several times this season, but had an engine alarm this weekend. Started up, idled out, started to come up on plane and the engine alarm went off (during bow up attitude). I throttled back and the alarm silenced. The boat idled fine. Tried to rev up to get back up on plane, and engine alarm sounded again. Went back to the dock (with all family disappointed and concerned). The drive fluid was maybe a little low (at "add"), so I added fluid and idled back out. Same problem with alarm when i tried to go back up on plane. Went back in and checked oil level...that was fine. Found the power steering fluid level was low so I added this and thought I nailed the problem. Went back out and had the same problem with alarm. All gauges register that "all good" - temperature, pressure, etc - all reading "ok" and all within acceptable ranges.

Any ideas friends?

:welcome: to iboats

Is it a solid alarm or short beeps?

Ch Cl

Recruit
Thanks for the input everyone. It is a solid alarm (not beeps). I will check the wiring for the sensor. Now wondering if it sounded in response to RPMs and not necessarily bow up attitude (which was my assumption for sensor trigger if fluids were low). Going to have my mechanic check the impeller and pressure.

alldodge

Staff member
Water pressure would be 2 beeps, you could get a solid alarm by high rpm's in neutral. There is a switch on the shift plate and if its out of adjustment or going bad the computer will think your in neutral.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You still haven't told us exactly what engine you have. That makes a HUGE difference in what the alarm means...