496HO Captains call not fully going silent

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 2007 Southbay pontoon with a 496 HO. It has the captains call exhaust. It seems to be functioning fine switching back and fourth but in silent I am still getting a considerable amount of exhaust and water through the straight pipes when in silent. Is this normal? If so is there a way to make it so it completely goes through the prop when desired?

Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
make sure the solenoids are moving when you flop the switch, other than that the diverter plate has gone missing
Corsa17.gif

Last edited:

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They solenoids do move the exhaust from open to silent there is a major noticeable difference when switching. Both sides do this when in silent. For the diverter plate I assume there is one for each side?? Both sides are doing the same thing. Is it possible the plates are both worn out and allowing by pass? Are these re place able?

alldodge

Staff member
They solenoids do move the exhaust from open to silent there is a major noticeable difference when switching. Both sides do this when in silent. For the diverter plate I assume there is one for each side?? Both sides are doing the same thing. Is it possible the plates are both worn out and allowing by pass? Are these re place able?

If your hearing no noticeable difference between either side then the diverters are working equally. There is an adjustment that can be made but is done with the diverters removed.
corsa diverter.jpg

With engine running and the diverters on, grab them and see it you can move them any by hand

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did not get a chance to look at this over the weekend but while looking through the paper work for the boat the system is a Quick silver Silent choice not captains call unless they are one and the same. These are cast iron. I can look into the back of the pipes and see the diverters are there and appear to be closed all the way.

Last edited:

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the link. I see they have a new style shutter I am wondering if this is a design flaw they changed later.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to source some parts for the QS silent choice but all I can find through QS is the whole unit(s). Does anyone know who makes these for QS? Are the Corsa? The part numbers I have are listed as obsolete hopefully I can still get parts.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't know where to find the parts but folks at Corsa are very helpful. I would say you would have a good chance that if you call them they might be able to help. I have called them before and then sent things back for repair. I'd bet if they cannot help they would tell you who could
CORSA Performance Marine
140 Blaze Industrial Parkway
Berea, Ohio 44017
P: 440.891.0999 ? F: 440.891.1868 ? Toll Free: 800.486.0999

http://corsamarine.com/contact-us.aspx

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After some more research. This system was actually built by Mercury itself. There are still parts available so have to figure out whats wrong. The closest system to it is the Harden Marine air system. The tech there was very helpful. He said there are basically only a couple things that could possibly be wrong. First would be the air pump not having enough pressure to hold them closed or to close them fully, the other is possibly the actuators but that is very unlikely he said unless they are just both out of adjustment. That is a quick thing to check just have to close them and see if there is play in the shutters.