Belt help please

Hcmcclay

Cadet
I have searched online for hours and can not find a part number for the belts that go on a 1993 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2. I had one break today and need to locate replacements. Was told I need the original part number before an auto store can cross reference them. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Boat is a mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 4.3LX

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... Boat is a mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 4.3LX

The engine is a Mercruiser 4.3LX, not the boat. (we don't care really what the boat is :D). The drive is an Alpha One Gen II.

Anyway, that aside.

..... Was told I need the original part number before an auto store can cross reference them. ...

Bollocks! Sounds like the kid behind the counter is just too b... lazy to get off his fat donkey and do some real work!

The belts are...

Alternator - 11A1180
Steering pump - 11A1335

HTH,

Chris..........
(and give the parts jerk a kick in the derriere)

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Yea, I agree . . . any auto part store could match up the belt just by bringing it in . . . I've done that with my snow blower belts and other stuff.

Just to dumb it down for the folks at the store, I usually bring the belt (or whatever it is) and say "I need something that looks just like this" . . . :D

Hcmcclay

Cadet
Thanks. I will check those. Would the engine start with the Alternator belt off? I was on lake yesterday and at one point turned off engine. When it wouldn't start I saw belt was broken. I am sure I heard it break way earlier think back. Thanks

If the belt breaks you loose all of your belt driven accessories, alternator, circulating water pump, power steering if you have it. Just having the belt off will do nothing to prevent the engine from starting, but No water pump means an overheated engine and that would be bad news.

achris

If the belt breaks you loose all of your belt driven accessories, alternator, circulating water pump, power steering if you have it. Just having the belt off will do nothing to prevent the engine from starting, but No water pump means an overheated engine and that would be bad news.

Sorry Eric, not on these engines. The alternator belt goes round the crank, the water pump and the alternator. The power steering belt goes round the crank, the water pump and the steering pump. If you loose the alternator belt, all you loose is the battery being charged....

As for not starting, if the engine cranked, it should have started. Just ensure the belt didn't damaged something else as it let go...

Chris......

Hcmcclay

Cadet
The belts list above by Chris are V Belts with teeth. My belts don't have teeth on them nor do the pulleys. Can these still be used?

Of coarse in my mind I was picturing a serpentine, not two separate belts, :facepalm:

So it's not that bad after all.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that's why its best to provide an engine serial number , otherwise we give you our best guess.

achris

The belts list above by Chris are V Belts with teeth. My belts don't have teeth on them nor do the pulleys. Can these still be used?

Apart from the heat exchanger, does your engine and belt set up look like this?

DSC01747%201024%20x%20768_zpsgyqwi4as.jpg

achris

that's why its best to provide an engine serial number , otherwise we give you our best guess.

I went on the year, and the fact that he said belts.... If it's a single serpentine, then the year's wrong, and it will only have one belt... But yes, you're absolutely right, serial number will clear that up....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
He may be mistaking the V section as a cog belt cause he says My belts don't have teeth on them nor do the pulleys.
serpentines didn't start till `96
861758A 1 1 BELT, Serpentine (ALPHA) 4-3/4 IN. DIA. P/S PULLEY
13 861759A 1 1 BELT, Serpentine (BRAVO) 4-3/4 IN. DIA. P/S PULLEY
13 861758 1 BELT, Serpentine (ALPHA) 5-3/4 IN. DIA. P/S PULLEY
13 861759 1 BELT, Serpentine (BRAVO) 5-3/4 IN. DIA. P/S PULLEY

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have the exact same setup. '93 4.3LX with Alpha1 GenII. The belts are exactly like Chris' picture above. Smooth or cog inner surface doesn't matter.

Rick

Hcmcclay

Cadet
Sorry for the delay. Been working. Yes the belts Chris said worked. I was just thrown off by the teeth looking things in the belt. The parts guy said they are there for cooling.

Hcmcclay

Cadet
I have the exact same setup. '93 4.3LX with Alpha1 GenII. The belts are exactly like Chris' picture above. Smooth or cog inner surface doesn't matter.

Rick

What spark plugs do you run? My starts easy when cold but is hard to start when hot. Runs fine either way. Was told I need new plugs and the book doesn't have the model number. Not sure if what's in it is correct so wanted to see what you had. Thx

achris

What spark plugs do you run? My starts easy when cold but is hard to start when hot. Runs fine either way. Was told I need new plugs and the book doesn't have the model number. Not sure if what's in it is correct so wanted to see what you had. Thx

The dreaded dribbly carb problem....