Would gas intake leak on carb cause boat not to start?

bairdo3

Cadet
Got a 1990 mercruiser 3.0 ..went to start boat on water ans wouldnt start. Had it started before on muffs for 20 min. Found gas intake leaking on carb. Could clearly see it running down the side of carb. Would this cause boat to not start?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
yup,the float is stuck. it will allow excess fuel in the carb,flooding the engine. time for a carb rebuild.sometime ya can get lucky and just clean the carb,but I figure you are there,just throw a kit in it.

bairdo3

Cadet
Hmm thats odd. Its a new carb, newly installed. So everythings new on it.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
All it takes is some dirt to get by a filter into carb..

bairdo3

Cadet
Ok...well i just instakled it yesterday. Could float already be stuck? Or do i just need to adjust air fuel mixture valves? Im not too knowledgeable with carb dismantles so want to try to avoid that unless needed.

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
Is the gas running down the outside of the carb or inside down the throat of it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
New carbs aren't designed to leak, so something isn't right. From my days working on carbed car motors it wasn't uncommon to put on a new carb and have problems with it right out of the box.

bairdo3

Cadet
Well its leaking from a threaded insert for gas inlet..so i was going to remove it and re-install it with some thread sealer. Suppose that would surely do the trick.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
What kind of fitting is it? Usually there is a fitting that has pipe threads on one side and a flare fitting on the other. The pipe threads can take sealer - but the flare fitting side should have no sealer.

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
There normally is a gasket under the big fitting on the carb and the fuel line its self is a flared fitting. I'd check both for any issues (Big fitting...no gasket or just loose. Fuel line...cracked flare or pits on the inside of the big carb fitting) and then if you still have problems take the carb back and get a different one due to some kind of defect.

bairdo3

Cadet
Well thought i had everything good. Started it on muffs RIGHT before i put it on water. Ran great. Put it in water and didnt start....not even close to starting. Im out of ideas, think im gonna take it in cause ive already put alot of time in to it. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully the shop will be able to tell me why its doing that.