PLEASE help! new impeller not sucking in water

bairdo3

Cadet
I replaced impeller on my alpha one gen. 1 and to check i put lower unit in bin of water and pulled inlet hose at thermostat housing and NO water was coming in, but comes in with muffs. Also i notice a solid stream of water coming out pee hole on muffs that ive never seen. Ive checked everything...back flushed with lower unit off...please help

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I replaced impeller on my alpha one gen. 1 and to check i put lower unit in bin of water and pulled inlet hose at thermostat housing and NO water was coming in

Correct , the pump does not prime itself

NO water was coming in, but comes in with muffs

Then why the bucket???? buckets burn up impellers.

Are you sure the copper tube was inserted into the guide tube correctly?

bairdo3

Cadet
Wanted to make sure water was actually being sucked in and not being forced in on muffs. Do i need to prime it? And The copper tube not being aligned is my only thought of what could be wrong.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
with the mufffs inplace, no water should be getting to the motor with the motor off
make a mental note of the amount of water "splashing from the muffs with the motor off" . The instant the motor starts, 95% of the "splash" should disappear immediately. If not the impeller is not working..
If it does and no water is reaching the motor, something is wrong where the tube connects to the pump body.

bairdo3

Cadet
Ok. Didnt have a water in bin high enough. That makes sense. Put it back on muffs and water is getting to and exiting great. Supposed ive just learnes something else. :) thanks

bairdo3

Cadet
To boat to water today and wouldnt start...at all....had it on muffs for 20 min. right before..could i have burned up impeller running it out of water bin..would a damaged impeller keep it from starting on water??? I didnt sink the boat...YET...but ive had about enough of it. Dont know what to do.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
one quick note, the impeller does not "suck up" water it only "pushes" it, so if I've impeller housing is not completely submerged it will not move any water. I think it would be a good idea to replace your impeller, just to be safe. Nah, the impeller should have no impact on starting, you probably screwed something else up, just kidding LOL! Check for spark, and check to see if you are getting fuel, got to be one or the other.

bairdo3

Cadet
Ok. Found that the carb is leaking gas by the gas intake. I can actually see it running down side of carb. Could this be why?