Shift linkage is throwing me for a loop.

boxchevyman

Seaman
Hi all,
So I replaced the impeller with a kit that came with a new housing and all that jazz. I took the lower unit off along with the drive shaft case. Got done with the rebuild and mated the two together. I made sure the intermediate shift shaft was pointed toward the front of the boat while in forward. Then I put it all back together. Checked the gears and I only have forward. So I took the whole thing back off thinking I must have just done something stupid. But everything was lined up. I was unable to move the helm control to reverse and getting to neutral had some resistance.
It appears that my shift linkage in the bell housing is rotating in the opposite direction that my intermediate shift shat linkage is rotating on my lower unit. I am able to shift into F N R with the entire lower unit off the boat. And the shift linkage appears to be operating correctly on the boat side.
I just had this boat out yesterday and it functioned as it should besides getting hot. So i know i must have just done something dumb.
I have attached a few pictures to show what I mean.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• photo224578.jpg
    photo224578.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224579.jpg
    photo224579.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224580.jpg
    photo224580.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224581.jpg
    photo224581.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224582.jpg
    photo224582.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo224583.jpg
    photo224583.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0

NHGuy

Captain
So this is an Alpha 1 by it's appearance.
You put the shift in the boat in forward. Put the shift on the drive in forward and use a bungee to hold the prop counterclockwise, this keeps you shift shaft "foot" facing fore & aft so it will slip onto the shoe. Make sure the square cut washer is in the bellhousing bore. You then start the splined drive shaft into the gimbal bearing while watching that the shift fork and roller are mated. This keeps the bellhousing shift shaft at the proper angle, fore & aft. As you install the drive be sure the fork fits into it's bore. If it doesn't slip right in but you feel that it's 'lined up it's ok to give the drive a couple of whacks. I'm fussy about not marking mine so I just use the heel of my hand, but if you need some extra persuasion it's ok to give medium hits with a hammer against a 2x4.
Don't grease the very tip of the drive shaft, just grease the splines. If you grease the tip it causes an air seal and makes installing and removing difficult.

Once it's installed remove the bungee, shift to neutral and expect the prop to spin freely, shift to reverse and it won't turn clockwise, sift to forward and it won't turn ccw.
You put the washers back on the shift shaft in the drive, right? If you leave those out things won't work.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you have the lower unit in reverse when you installed it with the shift control in fwd. When we say to lock it in fwd it means the prop will lock in a counterclockwise direction. this is because the gears will turn it in a clockwise direction so its locked in fwd even though your turning it in reverse.