Easiest way to change shift cable bellows 3.0 Mercruiser

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
What's the easiest way to change the bellows on the shift cable?
Any way to do it WITHOUT removing whole outdrive?
It's a 1993 Mercruiser 3.0 I/O

Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
What's the easiest way to change the bellows on the shift cable?

Ayuh,..... by gettin' a new lower shift cable kit, 'n installin' it step by step as detailed in the Merc manual,.......

You don't have to remove the whole drive, just the upper half... :D

You have to pull the shift cable out to get the new bellows in, for me a new shift cable would be going in, unless the thing is only a couple of years old, in which case I would have replaced the bellows when the cable was changed.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Ok thanks guys, I'm less experienced with Stern drive applications so I appreciate it.
To remove that upper half of out drive, just remove the bolts and separate it? What else would have to be done? All the videos and stuff that I've found have just been bits n pieces of the job. I don't want to start replacing bellow without proper knowledge.

Is there a pdf version of a repair manual I can study?
How much harder would out be to replace all the bellows?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
To remove that upper half of out drive, just remove the bolts and separate it?

He was joking about only needing to remove the upper half. You have to remove the entire outdrive, but yes, it is as easy as you mention. Have the drive in forward gear, remove the trim rams, remove the six nuts, remove the outdrive.

You will then be able to access the shift cable.

One tip: tie a string onto the end of the cable to make it easier to remember the routing of the old cable.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
SEI has a good you tube video for that. In fact, they have a few very informative videos. Do a search.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I have changed the bellows without removing the drive. It's tricky and requires a few 'slight of hands', but can be done.

Remove shift cable from shift plate.
Remove black slide and metal threaded rod from shift plate end of cable
Secure a cord to the end of the shift cable, making the connection as narrow as possible
Turn steering hard to Port and tie it there.
Working outside the boat
Remove the end of the shift cable bellows from the gimbal housing (or if you know you're replacing it, just cut it off)
Now carefully pull the shift cable out of the gimbal housing, ensuring the bend it creates with the end in the bell-housing is not too tight
Continue pulling until the cord comes out.
Remove the cord, slide the new bellows and new hose/bellows clamp on, re-secure the cord
Working inside the boat
Pull the cord back up (you'll have to help guide the cable back in)
Have someone else on the outside of the boat ensuring the cable doesn't pull too tight a bend
Working inside the boat
Reinstall the threaded rod and black plastic guide on the cable
Install the front end of the bellows on the gimbal housing
Perform shift cable adjustment as per my video.

Chris........

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
If all you want to do is replace the bellows, then yes, as Chris mentions it can be done. Of course it is also very easy to kink and damage the cable if you are not careful. Then you are back to square one. ;)

I would suggest always replacing the cable when you do the bellows.... and visa versa.

PeterB26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Although what Chris says is absolutely correct (and what he says usually is) it would be unwise for someone less expereinced to try his method.

First, it is a tight spot to work and if you are not 100% familiar with what you are trying to accomplish you may find it causes more frustration than just popping the drive leg off. But more importantly if your shift cable bellows is leaking you may also have water in the u-joint bellows and that gets into the gimbal bearing and so forth. It is easy to remove the drive leg and with it off you have access to all that stuff for inspection. Not to mention it would be a whole lot easier for the inexpereinced to change the shift cable and bellows.

I agree with the concept that if the shift cable bellows is gone and you are in for that job, which requires pulling out the old cable, you may as well replace the cable while you are there. The kit comes with all the hardware to renew both ends of the cable.

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
I have changed the bellows without removing the drive. It's tricky and requires a few 'slight of hands', but can be done.

Remove shift cable from shift plate.
Remove black slide and metal threaded rod from shift plate end of cable
Secure a cord to the end of the shift cable, making the connection as narrow as possible
Turn steering hard to Port and tie it there.
Working outside the boat
Remove the end of the shift cable bellows from the gimbal housing (or if you know you're replacing it, just cut it off)
Now carefully pull the shift cable out of the gimbal housing, ensuring the bend it creates with the end in the bell-housing is not too tight
Continue pulling until the cord comes out.
Remove the cord, slide the new bellows and new hose/bellows clamp on, re-secure the cord
Working inside the boat
Pull the cord back up (you'll have to help guide the cable back in)
Have someone else on the outside of the boat ensuring the cable doesn't pull too tight a bend
Working inside the boat
Reinstall the threaded rod and black plastic guide on the cable
Install the front end of the bellows on the gimbal housing
Perform shift cable adjustment as per my video.

Chris........

hmm, you live near me and wanna make some extra money? 😁 Jk
I'm thinking if I should just tackle everything, gimble bearing, and all bellows.
Also, I thought I noticed a light clunking noise when I had it out yesterday ONLY when I turned under throttle. I was figuring this could be a U-joint making noise?

So should I ....
A-try to replace just the shift bellow without removing outdrive (carefully)
B- remove outdrive, replace ALL bellows, gimble bearing, u-joint, and shift cable

achris

More fish than mountain goat
hmm, you live near me and wanna make some extra money? ; Jk

If Virginia is close to Perth, Western Australia, then sure, why not.... ;)

If it helps, on Tuesday afternoon I'll be in New Orleans.... :lol:

So should I ....
A-try to replace just the shift bellow without removing outdrive (carefully)
B- remove outdrive, replace ALL bellows, gimble bearing, u-joint, and shift cable

B

Chris.........

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
If Virginia is close to Perth, Western Australia, then sure, why not.... ;)

If it helps, on Tuesday afternoon I'll be in New Orleans.... :lol:

😄😄😄 lol not quite close enough!

B

Chris.........

ok! "B" it is! Now i just gotta get all the parts locally hopefully and any tools I'll need. I've saw couple "special" tools needed, do you know what they are or if this can be done with normal mechanics tools?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Hey I found a kit for $160 that comes with gimble bearing, shift cable, bellows, glue and all hoses and seals! Not too bad!
How do I make sure I'm buying the correct parts? Are they all the same for alpha drives? Mine is a 1993 if that matters 3.0

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Also, is there a PDF manual for this thing? Or a REALLY descriptive video tutorial?

Lukelona

Chief Petty Officer
Eric 3.7LX Alpha 1;n9979022]I would pull the drive off and check the gimbal bearing first. If it feels good why change it?

** I just figured while it was apart it might be wise to change...?

You'll need an alignment tool also. I would do all of the bellows at the same time and a new shift cable.

**What is the alignment tool used for? The shift cable?

Service Manual #14 covers Gen2's
http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...iser14.html#/0

Thanks! I'm gonna study the manual! Lol

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
At the top of the page, there is a DIY section - in there you will find a Mercruiser section with a lot of good info, including videos.