hard start and running rough on a 3.0

skeetmaster

Recruit
HI all. Hope you can help me. Last week we were taking the boat out and all was good. On the way back at about 3000 RPM. The boat started to surge. We throttle back to idle and it starting running rough missing. It stalled out and took about 30 mim to restart. But missing bad. We limp it back to the dock. Thought that we might have gotten some bad fuel. I undid the fuel line and crank the engine over and fill a coke bottle up about haft way. I let it seat over night and no water or any junk in it. Took the fuel filters out and they look clean and not plugged up. So I started to look at the electric side. We tried to ohm out the coil but I had no spec. for it. Today I bower a new in the box coil from a buddy. Install it and the boat started up better and ran a bit better but still missing thru the rpm range. How do you check the module on the disturber? Or am I missing something?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... The 3.0l has been in continuous production since the '60s, 'n has used Many ignition systems,....

Could ya tell Us just What you've got,..?? year or serial numbers are Great,....

Have ya peeked under the distributor cap, 'n looks for carbon trackin' or cracks,..?

skeetmaster

Recruit
Hi Bondo the S/N is 1A006095 . 2007 bay liner I took a look at the cap. And I really did not see any cracks. It does have some arcing on the electrodes.. But nothing really bad. Iy is an EFI type of system well that's what we call in in the car world.
thank you

skeetmaster

Recruit
I just replaced the cap and rotor and about the same. missing up thru the range.I will pick up some plug wires for it. My roommate tells me that they are factory. Then I guess I can pressure check the FP to see what it is at.