Water in 77 mercruiser 140 auto choke

bassjbl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I was making a minor adjustment to my choke position, because of a mid throttle issue and when I listened the screws WATER started dripping out of my choke cover?! No unwanted water anywhere else in engine, where could this have came from? And also the other issue is when I am mid throttle you can hear a ducking noise and the engine hesitates to stall's depending if I leave it there, and it's hard to start after.

bassjbl

Seaman Apprentice
Is the port from the manifold for cooling? Should there be water there?

thumpar

Admiral
The tube from the manifold should be for heat to open the choke. Are you sure it was water and not fuel?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Which choke cover, where,..??

Is this a stove choke, or electric choke,..??

Sounds like bad gas, water in the gas, or crud in the carb,.....

bassjbl

Seaman Apprentice
The little black spinning cover that has the lean rich adjustment on the non electric choke, gas is drained and new, and just cleaned the carb

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
The water could be either a build up of condensation or water from the outside seeped in it the engine ever got wet. If you can run the engine again and see if it comes back. The sucking sound sounds like some sort of vacuum leak. With it running you can check for it with carb cleaner or wd40. Spray it around the carb and intake to see if it effects the running. Have you had it running since you drained the water out of the choke stove?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Those type chokes aren't sealed with a gasket, sounds odd it would have water inside it.

How did you go about cleaning the carb? Did you remove it and now there's a sucking sound and it runs rough?

bassjbl

Seaman Apprentice
I took apart the carb and cleaned the jets, replaced all the seals, it wasn't running before I cleaned the carb so I'm unsure, it runs fairly smooth for being a 77, starts up like a dream and idles well, the ducking sound sounds like a cold air intake, if that makes sense, I'm almost thinking its flooding I am at high altitude in colorado.

bassjbl

Seaman Apprentice
It seemed to be a lot of water in my mind almost an oz of water. The seal on the outside seems solid. And it never had water in it before while making adjustments

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You may need to adjust the float level if that's the case.

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
The reason I ask if you have had it running since you drained the water is to see...1) If the mid throttle issue is still there & 2) If the water come back into the choke stove. If the water has come back then the only way it can get in is through the stove heat tube. Weather it goes to the intake or exhaust I don't know because I don't have one here to look at. On cars they can go to either. Also if water is getting in there then that can be a running issue because the carb uses vacuum to pull the heat into the stove so this would be pulling water into the carb/engine as well. If you think if is running rich then you can try to set the float down but probably you would have to re-jet it for your altitude. The sucking can still either be a vacuum leak of some sort, won't know until checked. Or it could just be the sound of the air sucking through the flame suppressor at open throttle.

NHGuy

Captain
Hold on. First of all, heat stove chokes use a metal coil mounted on the intake manifold. This piece gets warm and pulls the choke open. There's no water in it. It just works off conducted engine heat.
The round choke housing doesn't see water either, so it's spray, condensation. or rain.
The only way his mid throttle condition would be related is if the choke isn't opening as it should. And that is only a possibility.