'73 Mercruiser 888 running rich

97fordrunner

Seaman
Afternoon

first off its a '73 Larson with a 888 and a holly 2 barrel carb that i'm having trouble with.
I have been trying to get this motor to run good for awhile. I rebuilt the carb and found it was full of dried varnish. after taking it all apart and soaking in carb cleaner for a day and rebuilding I then set the float according to holly and is level when looking thru the inspection plug. When I get it to run its gotta be 1/4 throttle or more to even stay running, looking down the carb it is pouring fuel into the intake and after running it the plugs show the rich condition. I set the carb up to base according to the instructions and i'm having a heck of a time. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Jon

ps - I thought I had it ironed out today when it idled near perfect and was able to adjust idle speed but then it died and wouldnt restart- found the fuel tank was bone dry :facepalm:

Bondo

Staff member
and wouldnt restart- found the fuel tank was bone dry

Ayuh,..... If it still runs Good after ya put more gas in the tank, yer Golden,.....

If Not,.... Probably oughta pull the carb, 'n see where the rebuild went bad,....

97fordrunner

Seaman
Ayuh,..... If it still runs Good after ya put more gas in the tank, yer Golden,.....

If Not,.... Probably oughta pull the carb, 'n see where the rebuild went bad,....

Lol, yeah I put fuel in and it runs again but very rich. Also when cranking fuel pumps out the breather tube in the carb. Float stuck?

pureinsanity

Seaman Apprentice
Normally a Holley is easy to rebuild but I have had some that just would not take a rebuild. My 77 Merc 888 has a Rochester on it. When I first rebuilt the boat (the engine among other things were bad) I put an engine in that had a Holley and it did not run right no matter what I did too it. So I put the Rochester off the original engine on it and it did fine. IMHO if you could get a Rochester carb you would probably be better of in the long run.

97fordrunner

Seaman
Found the problem to be a bad power valve- pretty obvious to once i read thru Holly's tech sheets on their website, the best way to test is with it running turn in the idle adj screws- if nothing happens its blown. well nothing happened . $13 trip to auto parts store and back in business