OVERHEATED BOATER

cdallisons

Recruit
I have a 1986 Fourwinns 190 with a 3.0l mercruiser. I am currently having cooling issues. At idle my engine temp rises to overheating. As soon as you throttle up to over 2000 RPM the temp comes back down. I have replaced the water pump, the sea pickup water pump and flushed water through the system while the outdrive was apart and cant find any apparent restrictions or blockages in the water flow. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
you had this occurring then you did everything and same afterwards?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I wonder if the outdrive water pump base is deformed enough that it bypasses a lot at idle while at higher RPMs starts supplying enough water?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
or in backwards. I did that on my 454 vdrives and when I revved up in idle they cooled off, for a bit. I was told they would flip, which they didn't. TOre into it and discovered in backwards and good to go after that. That's why I asked if same before and after.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
or in backwards. I did that on my 454 vdrives and when I revved up in idle they cooled off, for a bit. I was told they would flip, which they didn't. TOre into it and discovered in backwards and good to go after that. That's why I asked if same before and after.

Good point.

cdallisons

Recruit
As far as I remember I put the pump back in with the fins bent in the same direction as the old one. As far as the pump base, I replaced the entire pump assembly the second time I had it apart. I will have to see if I can find a picture of another one and make sure the fins are in the correct position. Thanks Fellas.

cdallisons

Recruit
Well I took the hose off coming up to the motor and there is no water at all coming up at idle. If I throttle up I get water. Any help.....

pull the drive back off and run the engine off a garden hose by sticking it in the water inlet in the bell housing. You should be able to run it that way..... or on muffs..... forever without overheating.

(Photo by Fishermark of his)
Fishermark Water inlet.jpg