Steering wheel problem............ Heeeelllllllpppppppppp

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have a 2000 bayliner 2252 Ciera was working on the gimbal removal turn the wheel to remove the hinge pin. I guest I went to far heard a pop sound behind the steering wheel now the wheel spins freely ...................... Help don; know what to do

Attachments

• IMG_20150630_182157.jpg
    IMG_20150630_182157.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 0

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
It might be best to lay on your back, crawl under the steering wheel dash area and take a few pictures of the mechanism behind the steering wheel helm. Need to know if power steering system, single Rack/Pinion Cable system, double Rack/Pinion cable system or Rotary cable system. If unknown, take/post of few pictures of area behind the steering wheel.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
considering that it does not take that much force to turn the steering wheel I would think it was very tight to begin with.If the wheel turns freely with no noise and dosent not stop turning, the helm unit broke. Turns to a point and stops, the rack part or the cable itself is broken.

77Muskie550

Cadet
Replace the helm....Maybe the whole cable (if cable) very simple to order one from teleflex and very easy to put it in takes about 2 hours

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
will do I don't think is the cable or the unit behind the engine just the unit behind the dash was working before with no problem will take it apart

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The helm is basically a non-serviceable unit,..... Ya can't buy parts,....

Best practice is to do a Helm, 'n Cable Kit,.... the pricing reflects that,....

If it's a rack, 'n pinion, get a new rack, 'n pinion,....

If it's a rotary, get a new rotary,....

Motor end of the cables are all 'bout the same,....

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Basically this is what I found (see picture) it is a rack and pinion this parts looks like what I have now on the engine part the unit is power steering cause there a pump on the motor does the end of the cable where the shaft is does that just slide in

Attachments

• SS141%20-%20400.jpg
    SS141%20-%20400.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
does the end of the cable where the shaft is does that just slide in

Ayuh,..... There's a pin, 'n nut involved, but Ya,....

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The dash side does not worry me but I never done the engine part basically am trying to change my u joint bellow but my gimbal because the rack and pinion side on the steering wheel is broken is stuck to port side I cant move the gimbal. is there is a pin with a cutter pin thru it on the steering arm does that pin comes out or is it set and I have to loosen the steering mechanizem don't want to start whacking with a hammer

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The Cable, at the transom end is secured with the Big nut at the end of the outer casing, unscrew that big nut,....

The end of the inner cable is secured with a clevis pin, held by a cotter pin,...
Remove the cotter pin, then the clevis pin, 'n the cable should pull free of the aluminum tube,.....

If it's corroded inside the tube, further disassembly will be required,...

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Finally was able to pull the cable out my main question before I put this back together again my gimbal housing is all the way to port side (I removed the out drive to replace the U joint bellows) I tried to turn the gimbal by hand (remember there is no cable in there yet) and nothing wont turn should it turn or do I need to start my engine for a couple of seconds so the power steering kicks in and make the turning a little easier