3.0 liter shift problem

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
engine starts right up and goes into reverse but when shifting to forward engine quits.If I go real easy with shifter some times goes into forward gear without activating cutout switch.?

fishrdan

Admiral
Check the lower shift cable adjustment, also (when the lower shift cable is removed from it's anchor points and engine off), it operates buttery smooth when going from F to R. Any binding will trip the shift interrupt switch and cause your symptoms.

Probably a bad lower shift cable though, needs to be replaced.....

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
I disconnected the lower shift cable and pushed it in and out and does work very smooth. I adjusted as to specs and still the same problem.
also disconnected the helm cable at the engine and checked specs on it . same problem

Rick Stephens

Admiral
When going into gear, in the water, mind you, watch the cutout switch. A bad lower cable will push the cutoff switch onto the lobe that momentarily kills the engine and then it won't return to the center to keep running. 90% chance that is a bad lower cable if all the cable adjustments are correct.

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
If I go real easy with shifter some times goes into forward gear without activating cutout switch.?

Ayuh,..... Have ya had the drive off, 'n checked the linkages within,..??

Obviously, there's too much resistance causin' the switch to move, when it shouldn't move, at all,....

skipbehr

Seaman Apprentice
I have an appointment next tuesday to get lower shift cable changed and new shift linkages as per kit and see what happens after that . thanks for the info and responses.