Problems on the alpha 1 gen 1

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Rick! Well wasn't going to take a chance on that housing not having any more melted seals or other parts. So decided to take my chance on another used unit.Well ready to do this lower unit over and there is a gash in the shaft that will run an o-ring for sure. So was looking for another lower and they run 600-700 used. Stumbled against a man who had engine and outdrive rebuilt 10 years ago. And since has only been used 100 miles. But last summer his shifting cables screwed up. And in the process of trying to repai he was told the transom was shot. So they stripped out the boat. So now getting the whole out drive for 300.00. Quite a deal if its good. I will haul my tools to check it out with me. And when i get home I'll put the whole impeller kit I ordered in. With God on my side I'll have it ready to go.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You get a chance, post a pic of the shaft with the gash on it. It would have to sit right on a seal to hurt anything. And it could be repaired possibly as well. Hate to toss a leg for something fixable or ignorable.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
00a0a_jdyqPPqRSCd_600x450.jpggears.jpgserial.jpgodrive.jpgWell Rick, I was feeling pretty bad over this. So I sent the wife to pick up that entire outdrive. He sais it was a 3,0 merc with a alpha 1 gen 1 out drive. Rebuilt as i said and ran till last summer with no problems. Figured for 300.00 I couldn't lose. Well wife come back a few minutes a go. I didn't figure in the year of the boat. And she come home with a pre Alpha I believe. Says mercruiser on the sides and 140 on the back. Has a loop on top and looks like tourc screws holding the top down. I just looked its an 1982 and mine was 1987. Am I wrong or is this pre alpha 1? Also it looks like a match as far as fitting the boat. Any thing needing changed on thei to replace my alpha 1 gen 1? At first I was going to return, but its 4 hours a way. Now think an impeller and try it out. What do you think? Figure maybe i can get the boat on the water. And get the whole alpha 1 rebuilt and install next year. Would allow me to save some money up to do it.
Also some more questions. will my impeller kit for the alpha 1 gen 1 be ok in this? Checked the face and it looks like a straight bolt up. Hope the pics help! 00a0a_jdyqPPqRSCd_600x450.jpg gears.jpg serial.jpg odrive.jpg

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Not a pre-alpha, an MC-1. Completely compatible with your transom housing, but definitely not what he was advertising.

The water pump housing, impeller, base plate and gaskets are the same.The only thing different is the plastic base itself.

Last edited:

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok thanks! Then tomorrow I'll separate and change impeller and have a look around. Then on to the boat to test again. Is that lower shaft a difficult job on the Alpha 1? Thinking i'll tackle rebuilding the lower half of it. And using the new uper I have. The lower was on the overheated one. and it got hot enough to totally melt the impeller and the water port cover in top half. So what would you think it would ruin in the lower Alpha 1 gen 1? I know of course the impeller and both housing halfs. But I did a pressure check and it was good. So if the seals in it didnt leak, would you call it good or tear down?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I'd probably use the entire new unit. Go through it and replace the water pump. Check it out and bolt it up.

Then rebuild, repair your Alpha.

Rick

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have not the special tools or knowledge to help with how hard building a lower is. Couple hundred in special tools and shims to replace that shaft probably.

achris

If it's an MR or Alpha One lower, then the tools and skills needed are a lot more. MC-1 or R lower, 'easy'... but again some special tools and skills.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys same as my thoughts. As far as skill I was a machine assembler and designer, and a machinist and tool and die maker, Also a 30 year certified mechanic. Not bragging as we still run in to stuff. But i'm older and slower. My money is budgeted tight. So far the special tools on a merc has been no problem. As many are tools I used in the trades over the years. I do understand most tooling procedures. But I was no marine mechanic. So proper instructions and knowledgeable people is a definite plus. I do find my self asking questions that I really do know the answer to. Mostly for moral support. But often because i find marine can be different then others. Only reason Im saying ll this is to let you know how much i appreciate all the help and moral support. And also the fact at my age I know how different it can be to be appreciated over taken advantage of. So when i say thanks I want all to know I mean it.
Now back to things at hand. The case on this looks pretty scrubby. So after I split, and check out. I'll put in the impeller. Then I think i'll mask this off as labels are in nice shape, and give a nice couple layers of Black gloss. Should be much easier off boat. I'll also add add a couple layers of clear Lacquer to the labels. Then take a deep breath and install and try. LOL! Been a long journey so far.
As for the Alpha one. All parts and units will be marked and stored. Then i'll decide weather to make a winter project of trying to rebuild the whole drive for next year or two.
I do know before I start the restoral, I'll pull and rebuild the engine too! also pull the floor boards in tank area to check supports. As they are wood on these.
So as you see, I'm in it for the long haul.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You need the original Merc manuals. The Alpha 1 manual is Number 6 and also covers R and MR models. There are several places it can be downloaded as a PDF, I don't have the links off hand, I'll look around. You can also read it online at boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser6.html

The special tools needed to just get the lower gearbox apart is fairly extensive and specific to Mercs. Last I saw, it was like 5 grand for the complete special tools kit for Mercs. Obviously don't need everything to work on just a lower, but if you go through the online manual you'll see how many are very specific to task and completely necessary even for what looks like a simple input shaft swap.

Great reasons to ask even obvious questions on this forum as it often leads to real world answers instead of book answer. There are lots of little things that opinion and methods have changed over the years as better ways were found.. The total experience on these boards is awe inspiring!

Rick

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Realizing you might not want to post it, but stick a pic up of that gash in the shaft. Most ways, if it's around the pump, can't hurt anything. Nothing seals around the pump much anyway, except below it. Everything from pump base up can leak like a sieve and not hurt anything.

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Well I got the new to me MC1 in. Changed impeller, plate and top housing. (Bottom water pump housing won't work in MC1) Everything looked good. Impeller was ready to be changed. Propeller is a Quick Silver 3 Blade steel 2012P17 Hoping this is right one. Here is the pic of the shaft. Although I believe I'll set aside for a winter project. The shaft has two gashes and i dont like the height. I suppose I could weld and file to shape. But the drive is done and working for this year. Now so I dont lead this thread off topic. Be sure to check out my new thread! What now.

Attachments

• photo224618.jpg
    photo224618.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That's where the water pump sits, right? No bearing, seals or anything in oil near there. Should be fine.

What now sucks! Sorry man.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
When my impeller melted it welded on. Had to cut off wuth drimmel. It had a few scraps in it here and there but i smoothed it out with drimmed and little stone whell thingy. Slapped it back in and called it a day

achris

. The shaft has two gashes and i dont like the height.

Nothing there to worry about. It's the top of the pump housing, and the area the rubber slinger goes... New impeller and housing, Bob's your uncle....

Chris.....