Tilt - trim problem

Jsp6789

Recruit
I have a 87 larson citation I just got with merc 470 motor and alpha one 165 outdrive. The problem is on the shifter tilt switch only the down works and on the trim switch on dash only the up works. So I can still lift the motor up and down one way using both switches. Other question I have is first time out on boat with FOT I trimmed up the motor two touches of switch to have motor overheat instantly. I can trim up at slower speeds without a problem. This is my first i/o motor. Always had outboards. Thanks for any help.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Number one, I don' t think there should be a trim switch on the dash, unless the PO bypassed the control handle trim switch. Do you have a rubber rectangular trailer switch on the control handle? It sounds like the trim limit switch on the outdrive is not working. Is this the original Mercruiser control, with a small flat switch on the control handle?
Second, if your engine is overheating, change the outdrive impeller right away, before you take it out again. Otherwise you risk blowing your head gasket with an overheat.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Number one, I don' t think there should be a trim switch on the dash, unless the PO bypassed the control handle trim switch. Do you have a rubber rectangular trailer switch on the control handle? It sounds like the trim limit switch on the outdrive is not working. Is this the original Mercruiser control, with a small flat switch on the control handle?
Second, if your engine is overheating, change the outdrive impeller right away, before you take it out again. Otherwise you risk blowing your head gasket with an overheat.

+1....what he said.......get your impeller (water pump) in the A1 drive replaced first.......you can address the trim issues later, that wont cause you to blow up your engine

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
......Other question I have is first time out on boat with FOT I trimmed up the motor two touches of switch to have motor overheat instantly. I can trim up at slower speeds without a problem. This is my first i/o motor. Always had outboards. Thanks for any help.

So are you saying that at slower speeds, you can trim up like you want to and the motor doesn't overheat?

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like the trim limit switch is broken . . . port side of outdrive at the pivot point.

Your dash switch is the 'tilt' range, but it will raise the outdrive regardless of position. The switch on the shifter/throttle only works in the 'trim' range of the outdrive for raising . . . works in any position for lowering the outdrive.

Jsp6789

Recruit
I will check limit switch that makes sense. As far as impeller I don't think that is the problem. I have been out three days since overheat and no problems. I can trim up at lower speed with no problem. Just the one time I was at FOT and I bumped the trim switch out twice to see if I would get more speed and in less then 15 seconds I was spraying coolant out the cap. Since then I just leave drive all the way in at higher speeds and have had no problems. Let's say I have a bad limit switch and I lifted motor to high at FOT out the water would I overheat that fast? I don't think that is what happened cause I just bumped it twice but who knows. Post Reply