Looking for a Mercruiser Quicksilver shifter or repair

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a mercruiser quicksilver shifter that looks like this:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/EPkAAOSwstxVfjYn/$_57.JPG

I'm was having real trouble getting the "throttle only" button pushed in, now it wont go in at all.
Im ok with putting a new one in to replace it, I've actually done this before because of the same issue but im having trouble finding one. Look like I missed them all on Ebay and no current ones.
Any other places I could look? Or any experience/advice with that button problem?

Thanks

NHGuy

Captain
Before you replace it get to the back side of it and get some lubrication in there, just don't wet down the electric stuff. Is this in the salt or fresh water?

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only ever freshwater. Its not really that its 'stiff' its that theres something blocking it. I can push with all my strength and it just wont go in.

before it stopped behaving completely it would do this then eventually it would go in fairly easily. Maybe something isn't lined up

philipp10

Seaman
you replaced one before? That tells me you have something going on back there. Instead of replacing it, take the one you have apart and figure out what is going on.....

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figure that design is just a bit crap over time, the one I replaced it with was used and its lasted several years.
I don't really understand (or cant remember) whats going on behind there to allow throttle only. Some kind of mechanism to move only the throttle cable not the gear cable, but NOT when the lever is pushed forward or back (in gear)
Its clearly that safety mechanism that's the problem

I suppose ill just take it all off but id love to have another ready if nothing seems obvious. Tough to find that exact part though

Last edited:

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I got this part today but I have no idea how to replace it. Anyone got any idea? write up? pics? video? help!

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This may not be what you want to hear, but my throttle only button pretty much did the same thing. Instead of throwing money and labor at the old shifter, I had a new style installed in my 1984 Sea Ray cuddy. An advantage is a new shift cable and flawless operation. Disadvantage is it's a pricey fix, but I now have zero worries about getting it into throttle only.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
So I got this part today but I have no idea how to replace it. Anyone got any idea? write up? pics? video? help!

I have the manual for that shifter. PM me and I will email it to you.

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I actually have an old one that suffered the same fate, so using the diagrams I took it apart and found the pin to be broken in half!

I was hoping that MERCRUISER GEN 2 QUICKSILVER would work so I wouldnt have to keep doing this, maybe the design was better on the gen 2s

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
It might be worth a try taking it apart. Mine was sticking pretty badly, so I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it and it has been fine for the last 15 years or so.

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you do that by just taking off the handle or do i have to remove the whole mechanism?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Maybe. Don't know which one you have, but there may be a set screw on the bottom of the handle. Once it is off you may be able to get a can of lube with a thin tube and spray in there to free things up. did mine so long ago I don't recall exactly how I did mine, do remember it was ALL apart.

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

ok thanks for the advice. I have this one:

Attachments

• photo224781.jpg
    photo224781.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah same as mine. Set screw on bottom. Try to get it lubed and it might be OK.