1989 2.5L Mercruiser Issues after carb rebuild

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
So when I launched this year I had idle and starting issues. I had no issues once I got moving. I decided to rebuild the carb, a mercarb to be precise. Now the boat starts first try and idle real smooth. I can leave the dock and throttle up but after 100 yards the engine starts loosing power and if I don't throttle back it dies. It starts right back up and I could idle all day.
When I rebuilt the carb I also changed the in pump filter. Can this be installed wrong?
One other thing I noticed when rebuilding is the long piston thing in the top cover of the carb was a little sticky. Would this be to blame?
Would setting the float height or drop wrong, cause my issues?
I used the rubber tipped spring loaded needle instead of the solid one that was in there. Would this cause the issues?
I did a lot of reading and most posts tell me to rebuild the carb but I have done that. I obviously did something wrong.
Any tips would be really helpful. Thanks.

NHGuy

Captain
I'd start by verifying or correcting your float height. It's got to be really precisely set. Correct to a 32nd or 16th of an inch. Also check the filters, seat and float bowl for debris and water.

philipp10

Seaman
sounds short of gas to me. Enough to idle but once you throttle up, its not there. Check float, look for a vacuum leak, possiblyn a dirty fuel filter or weak fuel pump.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd start by verifying or correcting your float height. It's got to be really precisely set. Correct to a 32nd or 16th of an inch. Also check the filters, seat and float bowl for debris and water.
I considered taking the carb off and checking the float. Boat is located an hour from me so I will check later this week. Carb was very clean when I finished rebuild. I don't see any reason for debris or water to be in there but I will see when checking float.

sounds short of gas to me. Enough to idle but once you throttle up, its not there. Check float, look for a vacuum leak, possibly a dirty fuel filter or weak fuel pump.
Gas shortage is what it sounded like to me also. As I said above I will check the float. Where would the vacuum leak occur? These symptoms did not exist before I removed the carb and refitted it?
All filters replaced but I could have replaced the one in the pump wrong restricting flow? Weak fuel pump would be odd since I achieved WOT before rebuild.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
One other thing I noticed when rebuilding is the long piston thing in the top cover of the carb was a little sticky. Would this be to blame?
Anyone know anything about this? From research it's the power valve piston.

rayodunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Solved: I cleaned the power valve piston. I set the float height. I also trimmed the edge of the pump filter gasket as it had become swollen and did not sit in the pump correctly.