shift cable question

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed SEI sells shift cables. Anyone have experience with them?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
so does iboats, is there a question here? I use mostly sierra and merc

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so does iboats, is there a question here? I use mostly sierra and merc
Seems like I'm constantly changing merc cables. The push pull twist shielding becomes worn past the 3/8" play limits no matter how gentle i am with cable. Also have gently routed over y pipe per spec but still only get about 2 years. After that I have to start raising the slot upward to compensate.
Looking for a more durable option.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Shift cable should last at least 10 years. You need to find out what's causing the excess wear. Is the shift interrupt switch connected and working properly?

Last edited:

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Shift cable should last at least 10 years. You need to find out what's causing the excess wear. Is the shift interrupt switch connected and working properly?
The shift ignition interrupt switch is working well. Not always but last year I did find the bracket spring tougher to manually move than most Alpha shift brackets. After replacing the spring the boat shifted like new and still does but only with my constant attention to setting the cable per spec. (6 inch in forward center to center and slip fit on remote cable pushing on shift cable in forward and taking slack out on remote cable the 4 turns longer)

achris

Do you still have the spring loaded shift assister on?

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeap. Shift assist is a must have.
The wear is probably just me being super anal. Thats what the slots for anyway right? Thanks for the reply

achris

The shift assist could be the cause of your problems. When I had my 4.3LX I gutted the springs out of it. Whole systems worked much better. Couldn't just remove it completely as the pins and studs are set up for it to be there so, out came the springs. It just unscrews apart. That spring-loaded piece of rubbish is only needed on the MPI engine. Previous engines kill all the sparks, don't need the springs, but MPI only kills half the sparks, needs the spring or it's real stiff to pull out of gear. If you have a carbed engine, ditch the springs. What it does is load up the cable against the dog clutch in the gear housing, that's likely the thing causing your excessive wearing out of cables.

Chris.......

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The shift assist could be the cause of your problems. When I had my 4.3LX I gutted the springs out of it. Whole systems worked much better. Couldn't just remove it completely as the pins and studs are set up for it to be there so, out came the springs. It just unscrews apart. That spring-loaded piece of rubbish is only needed on the MPI engine. Previous engines kill all the sparks, don't need the springs, but MPI only kills half the sparks, needs the spring or it's real stiff to pull out of gear. If you have a carbed engine, ditch the springs. What it does is load up the cable against the dog clutch in the gear housing, that's likely the thing causing your excessive wearing out of cables.

Chris.......
Really???? I'll definitely try that one. Forums are so cool. Thanks Chris