72 mercruiser I6 165hp water coming up push rods

Encore985

Cadet
Hi I've got a 1972 inline 6 that I just changed the motor Cuz the block was cracked in the old motor. I was adjusting the valves the other day, than ran it with the valve cover off just to see how it ran and noticed tiny water bubbles coming up the push rods. Now I've only changed the oil once before I ran the new motor basically I'm asking and hoping that if there was condensation or water in the motor would it come through the push rods not mixed in the oil or is the new-old motor cracked also

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Did you use things like lifters from the old engine? If so, and you had run the old engine with the water in, then the lifters could be full of water from the old engine.

Chris......

Encore985

Cadet
No complete engine swap just had to use the old wiring harness no mechanical part yet

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Start it up, 'n see if the oil level rises,.....

Encore985

Cadet
I have and the oil in the oil pan is clear not milky but with the valve cover off I notice the oil on the rocker is slightly milky so I gues it won't leak much until the engine is hot and under load like the last motor

Thx for the info I guess we will see if I'll be doing another engine swap or just burn the boat lol