Replacing 1992 Mercruiser v6 coupler7. What else should I do with a 2 yr old drive?

gixxerjim750

Recruit
My coupler went out last fall, I am finally replacing it. What else should I take care of now while it is all apart? The entire outdrive was replaced with a Stern Drive Engineering unit a couple years ago, but nothing but routine fluid maintenance has been done since. Thanks for taking a few minutes to help me out!

gixxerjim750

Recruit
Yes thanks a friendly Merc mechanic will help me with that. I am wondering what else would be good to buy on the same order and replace while the motor and drive are removed from the boat: spark plugs, drive gasket kit, impeller?

NHGuy

Captain
Just be sure your engine is aligned and check the u joints and gimbal bearing. There needs to be no bearing side play and they should move like butter.
Good options, oil change tube that can pull out the transom drain hole. Maybe change the oil pan gasket or rear seal if it's wet.
Check all the gasket seals that you can reach. Clean up the bilge, replace any time hardened wires that you can't reach when the motor is in there.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
replace the rear motor mount bushings, there the leading cause of coupler failure

How old are your spark plugs? I'd absolutely do them if there over a couple of years old, and their tough to get at.

It all depends on how your engine sits in the boat. I can get at everything with ease in mine. Some engines are below the floor with a cover on top of them. I'd be freshening up a bunch of engine parts if was very tough to get at.

gixxerjim750

Recruit
Just your typical 20'deep V bowrider from the early 1990's...jumpseats come out easy to get to the sides of the motor

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you boat in salt water, make sure your oil pan has no nicks in its paint. If it does, repaint the pan.

The reason I say this is that I had oil pan start leaking from one of these nicks turning into a rusted out hole.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you boat in salt water, make sure your oil pan has no nicks in its paint. If it does, repaint the pan.

The reason I say this is that I had oil pan start leaking from one of these nicks turning into a rusted out hole.

+1. I usually have them hot-dip galvanised first :D

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
check that the motor mounts are solid. One rotted out motor mount is what cause mine to spin coupler. Tap with a wrench. Also stick your finger and or screw drive in hole and make sure there is wood left in there. If any are even slightly rotted rebuild them before putting engine back in. And yes get your rear bushings before you start so you can put in new ones.

Also, was you wide open throttle when you spun your coupler? If so then you may have a bent valve as I did. Sorry to deliver bad news. Compression test this sucker to find out! Fixing involves removing a lot of stuff to get at the head and replace. May be a little easier with engine out. May one to build a crate to set motor on.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh ya, and shift cable is a little easier to replace when motor is out. If it's old may be a good time to replace.