84 alpha one needs work

Littleton Bob

Recruit
so i put the water ears on and fired up the motor and after about 5 mins. rearlized i had no ciculation comming out of the prop, got a sick feeling and have done some reading on your blogs , looks like maybe water pump in the drive plus what else?? Just ordered the repair manual but need idea of all the things to check ,O one more thing as I articulate the drive on the lake it gets real loud with hard knocking as i take it out of a normal thurst angle but always knocks in normal thrust. I throw myself at your feet. Help

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the outdrive, replace the water pump and check/ lube up the u-joints, also check to make sure the gimbal bearing is running smooth before you install drive..

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... What motor ya got with this Alpha 1 drive,..??

Salty 3rd's got Good advice, only I'd plan on Replacin' the gimble bearin', 'n u-joints,.... u-joints are mostly yer knockin' noises,.......

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Also, on muffs you might not get much water out of your prop. The relief ports near the top of the outdrive discharge most of the water...

Littleton Bob

Recruit
Thanks Master Chief for that advice but all i recall is water sraying out the sides of the muffs and the temp worked its way up to 160 before i said shut her down, i will run the exersize once more before cracking her open!

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been working on same issue I had with my 86 305. Before you tear apart your outdrive I would check the following as it will only add about 5 minutes to the job but may save you hours. I wasted hours messing with my outdrive before realizing. Here's a good step through of how to troubleshoot this issue.

First thing, make sure engine is off and put shifter into wot forward gear. With engine off try turning prop counterclockwise and make sure it locks. If it keeps spinning your coupler is bad. If locks, keep reading.

Second step. Remove outdrive but before tearing it apart, stick garden hose in water inlet hole (in bell housing) and try running engine on hose without outdrive. If water circulates as it should and you get water out of exhaust ports then you can proceed to take apart outdrive. If not, you've got problems inside boat.

Last edited: