Temperature Rising

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Noticed the temperature getting a little higher this year.
If I cruise at ~3600RPM it runs ~160-170*.
If I push it up to 4000RPM it could go passed 190*.
Been about 5yrs since I replace the risers (full FWC'd system) and I'm in salt water.

Sounds like I need to replace the risers this fall.......

RCAnderson

Seaman
Might not hurt to get your heat exchanger hot tanked and pressure tested at the same time.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If the temperature is holding steady at 3600, chances are that your thermostat is OK. If it were not opening properly you would be overheating at 3600 too. Sounds like you are not getting enough cooling in your exchanger. First guess, you are not pumping enough raw water into the exchanger. Impeller? Remember the water flow through the exchanger depends entirely on the impeller, with no help from the engine waterpump, as in a raw water cooled engine.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
The raw water impeller was just replaced this fall.........the pump is belt driven, not in the OD.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Still kind of sounds like you are not getting enough raw water flow through the exchanger. It could be that you have a restriction where the outlet of the exchanger dumps the raw water into the exhaust. Sometime rust will build up and reduce the water flow. Try removing the exchanger inlet hose and attaching a garden hose and turn it on full. The water should flow freely through the exchanger and out of the outdrive with little backpressure.