1988 3.0 where do these wires go?

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
One I'm assuming is the ground for the alternator, where should it go on the alt?

The other is a mystery.

Any suggestions?

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo223535.jpg
    photo223535.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo223536.jpg
    photo223536.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you can assume all you want but the white/green stripe is usually connected to the dist on one end or the neg side of the coil and the end in the pic is connected to the shift interrupter.
The heavy black usually goes to a mounting bolt on the alt casing for the ground.

Last edited:

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Awesome thx. Almost got the boat together. These are some of the last details.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Ok so I cleaned up some of the dodgy wiring. The white with green stripe that was loose I tied into the wire that was already going from the coil to the interrupter. I'm not sure if this is correct so I made it so I can separate it. Lease look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• photo223761.jpg
    photo223761.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo223762.jpg
    photo223762.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 3

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove that connection, the white W/ the green stripe most likely already goes to the dist already(if electronic) and to the neg side of the coil if points.
In the second pic, the screw to the right is a mounting screw that also acts as the ground side. the screw to the left is isolated and has no connection to ground.
it looks like there are 2 wires already on that screw. start the motor and activate the switch to see if the motor stalls or shudders.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok will do. This brings me back to my original post I guess. Where does that white wire with green stripe that comes out of the wiring harness go?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
UntitledWP2_zpsnkowjrj2.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
in post 2 pic 2 there is a brown wire that looks like it goes to the coil. is should be going to the yellow arrow screw, the other end of the switch should be going to the other screw. the white/ w green goes to the yellow screw .. it is connected to the grey tach wire in the harness , and that will ground the ign coil when shifting out of gear.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
The PO had the longblock replaced with a new one a couple years ago so I don't think the serial number will help much. The electrical is original from the 88 setup. I'll compare the wiring map you posted to what I have and let you guys know.