warm motor won't start

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
have mcm 120 that is having trouble starting when warm. checked for fuel into venturi while throttling..see none. pulled plug and was dry and white. seems to be fuel problem as i believe plugs should be wet with fuel if it doesn't start right? isnt that what accelerator pump does? starts ok when cold. if i take fuel line off between pump and carb..i should get fuel while just pumping throttle right..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What's your serial # or at least the year for you motor otherwise we would have to assume quite a few things. For a mechanical fuel pump to work the motor has to be running for it to pump the fuel so working the throttle won't do anything.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

small nipple on bottom of fuel pump was totally clogged with green goop? not sure if that could contribute?

Attachments

• photo222243.jpg
    photo222243.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The clear tube is a safety item in case the diaphragm ruptures in the pump. It should have not fuel in it. The green goo wouldn't do anything. Look in the carb and have someone push the throttle (doesn't have to be running). You should see a squirt of fuel into the carb. If not then the accelerator pump is not working. At that point just rebuild the whole carb.

Watermann

Do you have a fuel filter / water separator between the tank and the fuel pump? If so it's time for a change. Check to see if there's a fuel filter that screws into the carb where the fuel line comes in. If everything is packed full of goo or crud I can see there being a fuel delivery problem there.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
this 1984 merc doesn't have water seperator but did pull off anti syphon valve at tank..looks good and spring inside still pushes ball but when i blow thru it it isn't unrestricted?..and i did replace filter at carb.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
so i SHOULD see some fuel into venturis when I just pump throttle?.would like to be able to isolate it to being pump or carb..what's best way?

Watermann

You should be able to get a few good sprays from opening the throttle if the float bowl is full. If nothing is in making to the carb be sure you have fuel in the tank first and then you can test out the fuel pump to see if it's even pumping. Do you have a soft line from the pump to the carb? Most are hard lines but sometimes ya know people change things. Take a clear empty pop bottle put the line inside and seal it around the opening with some duct tape. Try starting it so the pump goes and see if anything is making it into the bottle.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
full tank of gas. metal line from pump to carb.will try disconnect tonite or tomorrow when it dies. will postresults..thanx

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
had boat out. ran great for 4 hrs. fast..slow..but when came back to dock and shut off...wouldn't start! coil was hot and couldn't b sure if spark tester had spark cause of daylight. i changed coil took 5 min and it started but after putting old coil on it started again..i dont think it's the coil//it will start after short period? i checked fuel line and cleaned anti syphon valve. maybe some type fuel lockup that takes couple minutes? i'm STUMPED? maybe the xtra .05 thousands that pertronix ignition said for plugs? help?!

Bondo

Staff member
.i dont think it's the coil//it will start after short period?

Ayuh,..... Durin' that short period of time, with a test light, is there Power, at the coil's (+) terminal,..??

Durin' that short period of time, Pull the flame arrester, 'n Look to see if the accelerator pump is shootin' gas into the throat,....

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
i have never been avle to notice fuel into venturis while pumping throttle and i will check pos side coil tomorrow if i can

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
ran it on muffs today..i converted ignition to pertronix last year and have coils with internal resistors. at pos. side coil i have bout 11 volts when key on run bout 1 volt less than battery.(pertronix instructions want full 12v spliced from choke wire). but after I start it the volage goes to 1 volt less than running voltage about 13.3 (14.3). i checked voltage from solenoid to pos. AFTER start and that wire is 0..so the 13v is coming from choke spliced wire..is 13.5 enuf to make a 3 ohm coil that hot?

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
finally got out again..problem DEFINATELY coil getting really hotthen opening up between primary side and neg terminal..if i wait till it cools down the resistance goes back to 10k and it runs..same with BOTH coils..they are good just getting too hot) down? help

boozer1966

Petty Officer 2nd Class
May be as simple as vapor lock. The fuel line runs over the top of the motor. Make sure impeller and thermostat are working properly. Any excess heat can cause vapor lock in fuel line. Can also wrap it to keep hear out.

rca1pollock

Seaman Apprentice
thought maybe vapor lock earlier.buy verified that resistance from center tap on coil went from 10k to open when engine sputtered and died not being able to restart. after coil COOLED i checked resistance again and it was back to 10k and fired right up..same thing with another coil..starting to read a post about charging voltage being around 14.6 or so and a 3 ohm coil not being enuf resistance and after 1+hr or running heats up coil too much? thinking of adding .5 or 1 ohm additional...anybody have experience clearing up these kind of issues??

James D. Evans

Seaman Apprentice
Is the coil you installed a true 12 volt coil? There is a difference, a true 12 volt coil will handle 14 volts. If its just a standard 12 volt coil, there only rated to run about 10 volts ie like the stock coil with points ignition. NAPA IC14SB, Autozone LU800, and BWD E40P are true 12 volt coils rated to handle 14 volts. I installed the NAPA with my electronic ignition and had to add a ballast resistor to keep the voltage at the coil down below 14 volts. My electronic ignition requires 4 amps or less or it will fry. Voltage/Ohms=Amps (14 volts divided by 3 ohm coil equals 4.66 amps and overheating coil). I ran an additional wire from the key just for the coil, to get steady voltage. I too, was having problems with coils overheating, and was seeing 13.5+ volts on the resistor wire. My coil is still mounted in the original spot on the engine, and I put the ballast resistor over by the reset button in one of the pre-drilled holes.

My boat would run for an hour, sometimes less and sometimes more, start to bog/miss and then only run at idle till it died.

If your getting 13.5 volts at the coil I would add a 1 ohm resister and go from there.

Your currently~ 13.5 Volts /3 ohms=4.5 Amps.

Add 1 amp resister 13.5 Volts /4 ohms=3.375 Amps. Even at 14.7 volts/4 ohms=3.675 Amps

I say add 1 ohm of resistance. And buy a new coil to put on it once you get it right. I wouldn't trust a coil once its been overheated. Its suspect to weakness in my book.

Last edited: