Bravo Maintenance / Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumpar

Admiral
Do I really need to remove the drive just to grease it?
That is the only way to get to the u-joints. It is pretty easy to remove. They come off just as easy as an Alpha but they are heavy so be prepared.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

That is the only way to get to the u-joints. It is pretty easy to remove. They come off just as easy as an Alpha but they are heavy so be prepared.

I agree I use a engine hoist in my video because the things are bulky and weigh about 130 pounds. That's more than I want to wrestle around with when I have other things my hands need to be doing Alpha drives are smaller and around 50 pounds lighter. If you have something to set them on it's much easier. I like this cheap stand a member here named rrvert made a few years ago.

Attachments

• photo223397.jpg
    photo223397.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
I was planning on making a stand for mine. This year I didn't remove the drive so will be doing it next off season.

Merc4ever

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was planning on making a stand for mine. This year I didn't remove the drive so will be doing it next off season.

One thing nice about the Bravo is there is a place on top to hook it. I made a small hook for my engine hoist (used in the video) but I think you could even get by with a rope hoist hanging from a garage ceiling beam to take the majority of the weight off and safely drag it out of the way.

Fish Canada

Recruit
Such a neglected part I recommend everyone to do those simple steps that will really pay off in the long run. I found out the hard way.

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion of vid, good vid but some notes

No need to clamp off the drive lube bottle tube if drive is drained after removal. Should also drain and clean out the drive lube bottle every 3 to 5 years. When refilling, hold quick connect on bell housing in until lube comes out

It's also a good idea of once drive is full and both plugs are installed to lay drive on its side, with top of drive higher. Remove top plug and pour lube into drive until its full. If this is not done watch the drive lube bottle, it will go done over the next few hours.

The speedo fitting removed from drive was missing the o-ring

I don't use grease on the 6 mounting studs, and the nuts should be replaced every so many removals.

Need to grease drive shaft, and make sure there grease in the coupler, either by using the grease on coupler or using other method of getting grease on the splines

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Going into the archives, guys. Thanks for the updated info.

Status
Not open for further replies.