Shift cable questions Alpha 1 Gen 2

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry people for all the questions.
This one is about the upper shift cable.
Everything worked perfectly last year. Never a problem shifting etc.
I did the new bellows and new lower shift cable.
I saw posts here on adjusting the lower shift cable and there was a link to a nice video by chrisa660.
After chris sets the lower cable he then proceedes to adjust the upper one that comes from the helm control stick.
As he moves the helm control into reverse the upper cable extends to the required 3 inches.
When I do this, my cable doesn't move at all. Is the cable no good? As I said everything was fine previous to changing the lower cable. I didn't do anything to the upper cable.
Any thoughts?

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does the upper shift cable move at all, when you operate the stick? If not I guess a broken cable or it has detached from the helm control A cable is quite a simple thing, there shoudn?t be many things that can go wrong. I would suspect something wrong with the controls.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I went back out there and moved the shifter back and forth a few times and all of a sudden it started moving! I measured the travel and it's right on the money. What the heck? I spent hours fooling around with that thing! I guess it's OK now!
Maybe the end of the cable was not seated in the shifter mechanism. I did pull on the cable a bit on the engine side. maybe that got it set back into place on the shifter.
Thanks for your very quick response carrier82, I appreciate it.

carrier82

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I were you, I would disassemble the stick and find out the cause of it being temporarily inoperative. Just to make sure it doesn?t break loose at the worst possible time.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The Dr nailed it. Your throttle only button was sticking after not being used for a while. They are pretty simple, just a pin that slides in and out to lock and unlock the the shift mechanism from the throttle. Probably could use a little lube. For now try cycling the TO a few times to see if it loosens up.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ok. Thanks for all the input. I got it all back together and adjusted. Ran the engine on the muffs (first time this season) it ran great and shifted great. I was a little worried there, but everything turned out OK.