retapping bell housing for shift cable jacket

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alpha1 gen 2, I need to retap these threads. I have the proper tap, but confused why to tap from the under side ( bellows side) of the housing, out. won't this make my new shift cable jacket thread backward? Meaning it would turn counter clockwise to tighten?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Nope, thread direction stays the same, turns to the right to tighten..My guess the original threads are unused right at the end, and in perfect condition to start the tap.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nope, thread direction stays the same, turns to the right to tighten..My guess the original threads are unused right at the end, and in perfect condition to start the tap.

Ok, thanks for your input. but just so I am sure, I don't use a counter clockwise tap do I? (the tap I bought, is not the Quiksilver. It is just the same specification, 1/4 -18 npsf)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
did you mean NPST. Think about it. your turning it to the right to cut new threads , you also tighten to the right if your installing from the opposite end.
Should you not believe me and use a lefthanded tap, you will need to replace the housing

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Get a nut and a bolt. If you can't thread the bolt into the nut from both sides turning clockwise, yes, you need a left-handed tap.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get a nut and a bolt. If you can't thread the bolt into the nut from both sides turning clockwise, yes, you need a left-handed tap.

Lol...that's a great way to put it in to perspective! Thanks guys, figured I was having a brain fart.